• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chief's UDS Build

I like that shelf bracket idea. Was planning on putting on some removable shelfs on the outside, but might have to get some for the racks also. Good looking build.

Got the final preps done so I could smoke a turkey today.

DSC01172_zps5fc4f4da.jpg

The front leg to level it out. This might get changed later but it will work for now.

DSC01174_zps1e475f6c.jpg

Took some of the same angle iron I used for the wheels and legs and welded a small piece to the front of the drum to hang my ET-73 on it.

DSC01175_zpsf8bef3c1.jpg

Here it is heating up to throw the turkey on. We're not doing anything special with the turkey. Just a simple rub and we didn't brine it since it is a self basting "enhanced" turkey we bought a while ago.

DSC01176_zps8aa3c188.jpg

I'll post pics of the final bird when she's complete.

Chad

Easter Turkey = Gone. It was the quietest meal we have had in a long time. Everybody was to busy stuffing their faces instead of talking.

DSC01182_zps6177f6d3.jpg

Here she is complete after about 30 minutes of resting.

DSC01184_zps82182282.jpg

First time smoking a turkey. Didn't have much of a smoke ring but she was super moist and tasted amazing.

Love this UDS. It held temps really well. I used lump along with soaked apple wood chips and some Jack Daniels barrel chips mixed in the lump. I couldn't find apple chunks so had to get what I could find. Might be why I didn't get a good smoke ring. Anyway, the UDS, with all vents opened maintained 270-285°F. Didn't even touch it. Turkey smoked for just over 4 hours. Not sure how big it was as we didn't look at the label. I want to say maybe 10-12lbs.

Now it's time for a nap...lol

Chad

Started a new video series on my build. Here it is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMxsO5qM4U"]Chief's Ugly Drum Smoker(UDS) Build Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Chad

Haha, I didn't even think of that. Actually it's the VHT Fireproof Primer. I haven't decide on a final paint scheme just yet. But I will use that until I do.

Chad
A "REAL" Chief would have had that sucker painted Khaki by now.....MUst be an Airyedale.

The basket just barely fits by the top rack supports. The bottoms ones do have to come out. They slide in and out of pretty easy but I will keep everyone informed how much of a pain it is if at all. I got that idea from savageford here.

Chad

You can cut the brackets back and add a grate so they aren't in the way.

looking forward to the rest of them!

In my spare time (what little I got) I am in the process of editing the videos. Stay tuned and they will come.

A "REAL" Chief would have had that sucker painted Khaki by now.....MUst be an Airyedale

Haha. Actually I have been waiting for this crazy arse weather to warm up and to stop raining at the same time of having time. And, Yes, I am an airdale, AT for that matter. I might have to paint it khaki with brown wheels and front leg.

You can cut the brackets back and add a grate so they aren't in the way.

Actually, it hasn't been a problem on the smokes that I have done. I just pull them out, remove, fill, and replace charcoal basket, and then replace the supports while the chimney is firing up.

AND, it would have a mustache and a cup of coffee.

No mustache but I am looking at installing a bottle opener and beer holder. Might have to look at designing a coffee cup holder too for them early morning starts.:biggrin:

Chad

In my spare time (what little I got) I am in the process of editing the videos. Stay tuned and they will come.

Haha. Actually I have been waiting for this crazy arse weather to warm up and to stop raining at the same time of having time. And, Yes, I am an airdale, AT for that matter. I might have to paint it khaki with brown wheels and front leg.

Actually, it hasn't been a problem on the smokes that I have done. I just pull them out, remove, fill, and replace charcoal basket, and then replace the supports while the chimney is firing up.

No mustache but I am looking at installing a bottle opener and beer holder. Might have to look at designing a coffee cup holder too for them early morning starts.:biggrin:

Chad
I am a retired ENCM, and mine is painted metallic red, with a metallic copper lid. Tired of gray and even though I wore Khakis for over 16 years, not willing to paint the UDS Khaki. But I still have my mustache.:clap2:

Part 2 uploaded. Thanks for watching folks and I hope these videos help someone with their build.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTepvPOL8qI"]Chief's Ugly Drum Smoker(UDS) Build Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Chad

Well finally got a lid for the 30. I ended up getting it directly from Weber. Hopefully I'll be able to start on it in the next week or so. Got a ton of different things going on and one thing I don't have is a lot of time. I am also currently working on Part 3 of the video series. It will cover how I did the Weber lid. Just figured I will put up an update.

I will say that I am loving the 55. It has been great. Most recent smoke was 2 briskets I did over Memorial Day weekend. We were camping so I didn't take a lot of pics but here is what I took.

First briskets, I got much to learn, but they were gone and they were delicious. One of them dried out a bit, but the other one was awesome. I don't know how many conversations I had about this "big grey drum thing" that was sitting on my campsite. I met so many people that weekend and it was due to the UDS. I think I might have to build a couple for some people I don't even know...lol.

Anyways, keep an eye out for 30G updates and the videos. I must apologize for the ads on the videos, but trying to bring in some extra income.

Chad

Part 3 of the UDS build video is uploaded...finally...lol. Here it is.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aobCdgNSFoQ"]Chief's Ugly Drum Smoker(UDS) Build Part 3 - The Lid - YouTube[/ame]

On a side note, I used the UDS this past weekend for an R/C helicopter fun-fly and smoked a shoulder for 16 hours. It was an 11lb'r and with 20 registered pilots and their guests, there was none left and got nothing but compliments. Not sure how many times I had to explain how the UDS worked...lol.

Chad

Back