Should I keep my BDS????

Walt

Reaction score
I've had my BDS for almost five years (original model) and have have enjoyed many cooks. The last year I've noticed a much more smoky flavor to the foods that no one likes. I've cleaned it out, tried different lump, smoking wood (hickory, apple, black cherry), etc... and it's the same. I eat BBQ out and don't have indigestion issues like I do when I cook on the BDS. I cooked six racks of babybacks yesterday that were a bust. I eat most meat dry (have to stay away from sugar) so I'm torn as which way to go.

I've thought about a WSM or BGE but will I have the same problem? I've got $400 in my setup (weber dome/custom cover/dolly) which I know I'll never see so I'm hesitant to move on to something else and not like it.

What do you guys think??? Pic is from yesterday.

P1060246.jpg

If you can't cook food you like on it, I see no reason to keep it. But I would only move on if you feel confident you have explored all solutions. And as far as a BGE or WSM, if you don't get good results it is obviously you that is the problem :becky:

how would a drum change flavor of the meat? is the drum becoming more porous and the old smoke and fat is seeping into the pores and then releases after it heats up?

Maybe clean it and coat it with oil or lard to somehow seal it back up. What are new food grade drums coated with?

I'm also having difficulty understanding how the drum could be the problem.

Now, I have known a handful of people who have trouble with food cooked over burning wood. They have stomach aches and other problems I'll leave to your imaginations.

Over time, have you drifted towards more smoke than in the past? I'm taking a wild shot in the dark here, but maybe the "over-smokey" flavor is just plain over-smoking.

I hope you figure it out. I wish I had better input. Maybe some of the pros here will have the magic answer.

But, I'm still not able to wrap my head around the drum changing flavor over time.

CD

if you do a cook with no added smokewood, do you have this problem?

Thanks for all the replies! I agree with everyone and I question myself...maybe it's just me and I'm changing??? It doesn't help when other people talk about the strong smoke flavor but maybe they're not used meat cooked over an open fire??

I always use one piece of wood for smoking and they average 2x4". Maybe it's catching fire? Would this cause a bad taste? The wood is a couple years old and is stored in my garage. I leave my lid alone for a few hours at a time to prevent flare ups so I really doubt it's catching fire but I'm trying to figure this out.

As far as cleaning it. It is "well seasoned" on the inside and I scrape the sides and bottom each year. I follow with the torch and then burn a load of lump. It stays in the garage and I try to take care of my stuff so it will last.

The old wood could possibly be the problem. You want seasoned wood, but not necessarily old wood, from my experience. I've had some old wood ruin my BBQ in the past. I think stuff grows in it, like mold or mildew or other fungus, and makes it create smoke that is less than desirable.

Maybe some of the pros can chime in on the optimum "window" of aging of wood. I only know from my own experience that wood can possibly get too old.

I hope that's the answer, because it would save you some money -- and a rather nice BDS.

CD

What does Rocky say? I would think he would be a definitive source for these types of questions having had a long time with his head in drums.

What Hawg Father said. I would try those things first, it shouldn't be the drum.
If all else fails, I'm close enough to take it off your hands. :becky: JK

could you post pics of the wood you're using?

Thanks for all the replies! I agree with everyone and I question myself...maybe it's just me and I'm changing??? It doesn't help when other people talk about the strong smoke flavor but maybe they're not used meat cooked over an open fire??

I always use one piece of wood for smoking and they average 2x4". Maybe it's catching fire? Would this cause a bad taste? The wood is a couple years old and is stored in my garage. I leave my lid alone for a few hours at a time to prevent flare ups so I really doubt it's catching fire but I'm trying to figure this out.

As far as cleaning it. It is "well seasoned" on the inside and I scrape the sides and bottom each year. I follow with the torch and then burn a load of lump. It stays in the garage and I try to take care of my stuff so it will last.

I hate to even suggest this, but before you give up on your BDS, you should try it with a heat deflector, waterpan, claypot base, or anything to make it an indirect smoker. This can be as easy as adding another grate below the thermometer.

Blasphemy in the BDS camp! But looking at yours, it has the bolts on the bottom to support the charcoal basket correct?

You could even try something as subtle as making a smaller charcoal ring and use bolts to support it and move it to one side of the drum and cook your meats on the other side. Yeah, it'll need cleaning more often, but give it a shot.

IMG_0462.jpg

You also mentioned you tried different brands of lump, but have you tried just using Blue bag Kingsford? You obviously do take good care of your equipment, cuz the BDS looks like new!
I pressure wash my comp WSM's after the season and it wouldn't hurt to do the same on the BDS.

Okay, it looks like I have some homework for the next few weekends. I'll start by pressure washing and my usual method. If no improvement, I'll move to some kingsford and wood and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone!

Okay, it looks like I have some homework for the next few weekends. I'll start by pressure washing and my usual method. If no improvement, I'll move to some kingsford and wood and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone!

I was hoping to hear that!

your sense of taste changes as you get older... what you liked yesterday or last year may not be to your liking now.

your sense of taste changes as you get older... what you liked yesterday or last year may not be to your liking now.

exactly, i know this from expience. so does this website. they have heard me rant and rave about my food. But we finally got it taken care of. I would sugest cleaning it and re seasoning it and then use some 100% natural briqs as the fuel. I suggest that just because they have no binders or chemicals. KFblue is great to, but to eliminate ANY possibility with your taste buds, i would use all natural products just to see if its that.

You may need to cut back on the amount of wood. A little bit of wood goes a long way in a drum. I can tell when I have added too much. I have started using about 1 to 1.5 cups of chips spread among 10lbs of charcoal. I have a large rectangular basket that Spicewine made for my Bandera and luckily fit in my UDS.

I was going to say what Swamprb said and try putting in a water pan although that is blasphemy!:-D

BTW, I was seriously considering buying a BDS when Mista and others started making drums. I could not justify $500 for a drum smoker so I made mine and the name ugly drum smoker was born.

BTW, I was seriously considering buying a BDS when Mista and others started making drums. I could not justify $500 for a drum smoker so I made mine and the name ugly drum smoker was born.

See what you started!

Agree with the cleanout and basic charcoal cook.

Back