UDS paint question

drumdawg67

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Finishing up BPS UDS. Drum has been sandblasted on the inside. Outside has original paint. Can I paint over the existing paint or do I need to do a burn to get that off before coating it with high heat? Any advice as always appreciated.

I think all you need to do is scratch the surface with sandpaper and paint it with regular Rust-Oleum.

If I smell hot paint on my UDS I know the fire is way to hot.

I think it depends on what color you want it. If it's fine the way it is see how it will hold up because you can always repaint it. I originally painted mine but since sandblasted the outside and did a high heat powder coat.

Thanks for the advice guys. Makes getting this baby up & cooking a little quicker
Fwis, I'd leave it as is but the farker is Packer green & I just can't have that.

I used a weed burner to burn of the paint on my UDS.
I also wanted another color, because the color my barrel came with was farking ugly :thumb:

Picture of how I burned the paint off:
IMG_0051_zps3ead6d33.jpg

Like most things, painting prep is important. With metal you can opt for solvent cleaning, manual cleaning (like wire brushes, wire wheel, sanding etc.) or you can go with several different grades of sandblasting (brush blast to white metal blast). The prep helps anchor the paint, and the cleaner you get the metal you reduce the chances of a failure (like rust through, lift-off, flaking etc.)

Temperature also makes a difference. Warming the metal drives off moisture reducing rust, and the paint dries faster and more even. You can warm up your drum with your weed burner from the inside.. You want a soaking heat, but only warm to the touch from the outside.

I burned my barrels from the outside using a weed burner. Wired brushed everything, then primed the outside. Ready for paint.

Back