Home Made Bratwurst & Kielbasa (pRoN)

slow-smoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I must have been cooking a lot of ribs the past couple of months. I always trim the tips off my spares and save 'em for sausage making.
After gathering a few bags from the freezer, I easily had around 12 pounds of pork trimmings. I have a book on home sausage making
and used a couple of recipes from there as a starting point.

8237732919_f9174fa7c6_c.jpg

I didn't have any veal handy, so my Brats are just pork, but with the seasoning, they still taste Bratwurst should. I used my trusty old
KA mixer to grind the meat and stuff the casings. The KA mixer does a fair job of grinding, but I've already ordered a freestanding
sausage stuffer for the next time. The KA mixer is painfully slow when it comes to stuffing.

8238800838_3f34ba071a_c.jpg

I ended up making about 5.5 pounds of Bratwurst.

8237733327_eb58be3583_c.jpg

I also made around 5.5 pounds of Polska Kielbasa, which also calls for beef. I had a small chuck roast in the freezer, so I used most of that,
and ground the rest up for fresh hamburger.

8237733857_7b5815cee7_c.jpg

I cooked some of the sausage for last nights supper and was not disappointed with the results. I cooked the Brats Wisconsin style using
a sliced onion, a couple of proud tablespoons of butter, and a beer. Oh, and a couple of beers for the chef :mrgreen:

8237737063_af6291ae66_c.jpg

The brats were first cooked over direct heat to give them some color and grill marks. At the same time, I let the onions sauté
in the butter until slightly soft before adding the beer. After the onions and beer came to a simmer, I added the Brats and simmered
until it reduced.

8237737663_1dd85c39e9_c.jpg

The kielbasa was cooked over direct heat and then moved to indirect heat to keep them warm until the brats were ready.

8238806246_f958733aa1_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That looks fantastic. I always wonder if you cut out all the cartilage from those rib tips or do you just grind em up?

Absolutely fanfarkingtastic! :clap2:

I love making kielbasa & I'm trying brats real soon. You are gonna be really happy with a new stuffer.

Those are seriously hittable. :hungry:

Very nice. I love making sausage. I used my new 5# Kitchener stuffer and it makes a WORLD of difference. The KA is Ok for grinding and a fantastic mixer, but I'm starting to look at maybe a #8 grinder...oh, and a slicer too! It's a disease I tell ya! :mrgreen:

They both look great. Its that time of year again, I need to restock some sausage myself. Great work, and thanks for the pictures.

sausage making equipment is in my future, and it cant come fast enough :grin:

i hope mine looks half as good as your!!!!!!

Looks good! Try a grilled brat with brown mustard and blue cheese crumbles some time. Its heaven on a bun, if you listen close you can hear harps over your arterys hardening!

That looks fantastic. I always wonder if you cut out all the cartilage from those rib tips or do you just grind em up?

I trim the cartilage out. getting a tiny piece in an occasional bite is no big deal, but I think it would otherwise hurt the texture if there was very much of it.

Fab!
I just took delivery of a sausage making kit.
The bench type, with the grinder handle :icon_blush:

Nuttn' wrong with that. The stuffer I bought is a hand crank, and I'm sure it'll run circles around the KA when it comes to stuffing.

Very nice. I love making sausage. I used my new 5# Kitchener stuffer and it makes a WORLD of difference. The KA is Ok for grinding and a fantastic mixer, but I'm starting to look at maybe a #8 grinder...oh, and a slicer too! It's a disease I tell ya! :mrgreen:

Yeah, the new stuffer that's coming is also 5#. It's made by LEM. Looking forward to using it.

Back