• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KISS Principle

JohnHB

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
At time we go to great efforts to produce an average meal. An elderly Thai lady is making her living on the charcoal cooker shown below. She produces three products Chicken Maryland, skewers of chicken bums & skewers of giblets. All tasted fantastic and were very moist. A great example of Keeping It Simple Stupid (KISS Principle). BBQing at its simplest!!!
image.jpg
A photo of a Patong Beach vendor.
John

you folk down under ultilize the whole bird....but people will really buy a skewer of them? I have heard of chicken lips as a special dish, so I guess

both ends are covered!!!

you folk down under ultilize the whole bird....but people will really buy a skewer of them? I have heard of chicken lips as a special dish, so I guess

both ends are covered!!!

I have never seen them served by themselves in Australia. But I am currently in Thailand on holidays and they use everything.
John

Hmmm, if I were in Patong I would be hussling around looking for gaeng tai plah, pad ped Sataw, khanom Jeen, Pak Tom Gati and especially tom Kem Gati plah Dook and kaeng Som!
I'd leave the grilled meats for when i got back.
Maybe hitting sabai sabai and the food courts at central 5.
Enjoy John!

I ate allot of that street BBQ all over Asia including Thailand. The sweet Chili sauce covered the taste of the rats,.. She kept them in a basket under her cart she would snatch one by the tail knock its head against the curb to dispatch it, then use the long claw like fingernails to pierce the hide behind the skull and strip it off the carcass, two min later it was cut, skewered and on the fire. Seeing what I had just consumed ( thinking it was Chicken) I lost my taste for Street BBQ. Pataya Beach Thailand July 1983

If this type of cooking interests you, check out THE BARBECUE! BIBLE BY STEVEN RAICHLEN. I have a PDF copy I downloaded for free a while ago. Might be worth a Google search, I think I had to download Realplayer to get it.

I ate allot of that street BBQ all over Asia including Thailand. The sweet Chili sauce covered the taste of the rats,.. She kept them in a basket under her cart she would snatch one by the tail knock its head against the curb to dispatch it, then use the long claw like fingernails to pierce the hide behind the skull and strip it off the carcass, two min later it was cut, skewered and on the fire. Seeing what I had just consumed ( thinking it was Chicken) I lost my taste for Street BBQ. Pataya Beach Thailand July 1983
It was a rodent, rat like, but not a rat.
Delicious too.
The suckers in Bangkok are bigger than big domestic cats.:shock:

Any time I bbq a whole chicken, beer can or otherwise, I ALWAYS eat the tail piece. Didn't know it was called the "parson's nose" in some parts. I'll tell that to my wife the next time she looks at me weird as I eat the tail!

Well, at least you know it was fresh. :mrgreen:

Chicken bums are the best! I would love to be able to buy a whole skewers of them. Had some grilled chicken skin from similar setup in Thailand a couple of years ago and it was scrumptious.

If this type of cooking interests you, check out THE BARBECUE! BIBLE BY STEVEN RAICHLEN. I have a PDF copy I downloaded for free a while ago. Might be worth a Google search, I think I had to download Realplayer to get it.

Thank you for the recommendation. He now has a 10th Anniversary edition. I just bought a Kindle version on Amazon for around $10. His web site www.barbecuebible.com looks good too.
John

It was a rodent, rat like, but not a rat.
Delicious too. The suckers in Bangkok are bigger than big domestic cats.:shock:

We have rats in SE Texas and Southern Louisiana that are bigger than some dogs -- easily 20 pounds. We used to shoot them for target practice in the marsh lands near Port Arthur (yes, we have one, too).

Some people actually eat them. We just threw the dead nutria rats in the water for the gators to eat. No laws protecting them. Even PETA doesn't care if you kill them, as far as I can tell.

I wonder if they are related to the big rats in Thailand.

CD

We have rats in SE Texas and Southern Louisiana that are bigger than some dogs -- easily 20 pounds. We used to shoot them for target practice in the marsh lands near Port Arthur (yes, we have one, too).

Some people actually eat them. We just threw the dead nutria rats in the water for the gators to eat. No laws protecting them. Even PETA doesn't care if you kill them, as far as I can tell.

I wonder if they are related to the big rats in Thailand.

CD

Back