• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question from a newbie on joining an association

ZwolleQ

Reaction score
I asked this question in the cattle call forum (because Im new to the forums) but maybe this is a better place.

Im wondering if we have a small team that maybe only competes 1,2, 3 at the most times a year if or what the benefit would be in joining something like KCBS. Is it worth it for us or since we really dont compete alot is it something we really dont need. What are the benefits? Just curious. The one for sure competition we get in is KCBS so thats what we would join.. Im all for it if it helps the association or others. Just wondering what the benifits would be or if we should just remain "amateurs"

Thanks!!

Patrick

Patrick, this question is asked often even by those of us who have been KCBS members a long time. Some folks decide they don't see the value and don't renew. In fact, to be honest, due to a couple of frustrations and incidents, I had been on the bubble about renewing until the last few days and my renewal is due August 31. The truth is, if you're looking for tangible benefits, you might be hard pressed to find a lot, depending on what's important to you. On the most basic level, many contests are now asking for KCBS member numbers and require them to enter. I've seen the request for my member number on more contest entry forms in the last two years than I did in four years prior. It could be the ones you want to cook might now or in the future ask for a membership number. The Bullsheet monthly newspaper is another benefit. It's improving a bit. There's getting to be more informative and entertaining things in there. I think they have a long way to go yet. I wish I could be the editor. I've got some good ideas but whatever... I fully expect print news to go by the wayside one day anyway. You now also have to be a member to access a lot of the areas on the KCBS Web site. There are discounts, some of which, such as hotels, you can get anywhere. Others are specially negotiated discounts exclusive to KCBS members. Again, they could do much better but Mike and MMA are making it better over time too. For me, it's a couple of things I'd say are more intangible. One is consistency. I know that I can go to Alabama, California or Minnesota and the ground rules under which we all play will be the same. I can also compete in any number of contests right around Kansas City and know the rules are the same. I know what to expect and I know pretty much what the judges are trained to look for. In addition, KCBS makes certain that contest organizers pay out in prize money what they say they will. Because we pay membership fees, KCBS is able to ensure all of this. That I like. The other thing is because of KCBS being in existence, I have many, many, many close friends that I would never have known had it not been for Gary and Carolyn's vision when they founded KCBS 25 years ago. That in itself is something I value very highly and as such will always pay to renew, regardless of my frustrations. You will hear people say they won't support an organization with the problems that KCBS has. Truth be told, any organization will eventually have some sort of problems. Personally, I'd rather stick around to see even better days and be a part of it.

That's my soapbox about the value of joining KCBS. Take it for what it's worth - which may not be much. LOL!

i'm not paying to be a member.

the slice of pie they take from my entry fee is enough.

pay to the brethren. you'll get ALOT more back for your dollar.

you'll get it paying or not, but, just sayin".

My personal take on this is "Yes, join today!"

There are many things right (and wrong) with any organization, but if you don't join and vote then there is no way that you can help make it a better outfit. Also, if you're competing in a KCBS contest you are expecting the same rules as the last comp, the same meats to be cooked, the same judging standards in the "tent". In effect you are cooking KCBS (or IBCA, PNWBBQA, MBN, etc.) instead of un-sanctioned backyard comps because in each of these comps you know what to expect, what the rules are and so forth.

In turn I think that a person should help support that organization.

Thanks Jeff! So it sounds to me like its more of a Camaradarie thing almost a brotherhood if you will. The statement about meeting friends through it kind of says it all for me. honestly we loved competeing last year (although we knew we didnt have much of a chance considering the competition) but we were really in it for the social aspect of the competition, we are nothing but backyard BBQer's. Sure if we won it would be a huge bonus but we sure had fun with all the others there. We wont get in a lot but to me it seems if I am adding to something that could make things better in the future and gain a few friends along the way then heck Im in....

Patrick

i'm not paying to be a member.

the slice of pie they take from my entry fee is enough.

pay to the brethren. you'll get ALOT more back for your dollar.

you'll get it paying or not, but, just sayin".

I've been here over seven years now and love the Brethren. But how many contests does the Brethren Web site guarantee will be held on a level playing field and ensure advertised prizes will be paid? To me, that's a lot of value for the $12 per contest KCBS gets for me being entered in a sanctioned one. My $12 doesn't begin to pay the money for reps, the computers, judging slips and plates, etc.

KCBS regardless of my frustrations. You will hear people say they won't support an organization with the problems that KCBS has. Truth be told, any organization will eventually have some sort of problems. Personally, I'd rather stick around to see even better days and be a part of it.

I'm new too, What frustrations and problems are you referring? I've only competed a few times and have seen no problems from KCBS, but again I am new, so I don't know.

Okay so two questions...
1) when I go to the site and try to join how do I enter a team? It looks like I just join as a member vs a team. Or instead of my name do I just enter a team name?

2) What on earth are MOINK Balls?

Thanks Jeff! So it sounds to me like its more of a Camaradarie thing almost a brotherhood if you will. The statement about meeting friends through it kind of says it all for me. honestly we loved competeing last year (although we knew we didnt have much of a chance considering the competition) but we were really in it for the social aspect of the competition, we are nothing but backyard BBQer's. Sure if we won it would be a huge bonus but we sure had fun with all the others there. We wont get in a lot but to me it seems if I am adding to something that could make things better in the future and gain a few friends along the way then heck Im in....

Patrick

Patrick, if you wanna chat about BBQ or the benefits of KCBS, come by our site at Albert Lea. I may be tight for time since my wife isn't going but I'll make time to chat and answer any questions you might have. :thumb:

Jeff, I will try to do that for sure. Im assuming you are arriving Friday or would you get there Thursday night? We are arriving Thursday. At the end of the day, Id love to exchange some meat, have you try our stuff & tell me what you think. I loved trying everyone around us' stuff. Jeez it seemed like every 5 minutes after final turn in we had someone else's ribs, chicken whatever at our table. It was great!! (actually I gotta be honest it was my favorite part)

KCBS regardless of my frustrations. You will hear people say they won't support an organization with the problems that KCBS has. Truth be told, any organization will eventually have some sort of problems. Personally, I'd rather stick around to see even better days and be a part of it.

I'm new too, What frustrations and problems are you referring? I've only competed a few times and have seen no problems from KCBS, but again I am new, so I don't know.

If you're new and just going to comps, you probably will never notice a problem at all. But if you hang around these and other Internet forums, you'll likely be exposed to the "political" side of KCBS. The Board of Directors has been known to be dysfunctional, although with Candy Sue Weaver at the helm, things are getting better! Some have had issues with things that go on in the KCBS office but 99.9% of all this doesn't effect the average competitor. I've tried to remain out of the politics since I ran for the Board a couple of years ago. Yeah, I get sucked into debates, etc. sometimes but I've had more fun competing not worrying about most of that BS. Problem is, there's too many frustrated and even disgusted members but not enough frustrated and disgusted members willing to make a difference and run for the board. :tsk: Hang out on forums long enough and you'll see 'em all the time.

Jeff, I will try to do that for sure. Im assuming you are arriving Friday or would you get there Thursday night? We are arriving Thursday. At the end of the day, Id love to exchange some meat, have you try our stuff & tell me what you think. I loved trying everyone around us' stuff. Jeez it seemed like every 5 minutes after final turn in we had someone else's ribs, chicken whatever at our table. It was great!! (actually I gotta be honest it was my favorite part)

If I do get there Thursday, it would most likely be late at night so would go straight to a motel. If not, I'll get there around 11AM or noon on Friday. After turn-in's I'm always sick of tasting BBQ. I'd be glad to try it but please don't be offended if I taste it, try the tenderness and take it out. I've swapped Q samples with buddies after last turn in before where I just could not stomach swallowing even one more bite. I've gotten to where I try the tenderness and get the taste down and then toss it. Honestly, there's a few things about competitions that will serve you better than what I think of your food. We can all cook pretty damned good barbecue or we would never have entered a contest in the first place. You have to learn how to compete WHILE making good BBQ. Look forward to meeting you in Minnesota!

I've been here over seven years now and love the Brethren. But how many contests does the Brethren Web site guarantee will be held on a level playing field and ensure advertised prizes will be paid? To me, that's a lot of value for the $12 per contest KCBS gets for me being entered in a sanctioned one. My $12 doesn't begin to pay the money for reps, the computers, judging slips and plates, etc.

a portion of an entry fee goes to KCBS, correct?

THAT pays to insure all you mention.

the brethren, imho, is a better institution. and more well run.

a portion of an entry fee goes to KCBS, correct?

THAT pays to insure all you mention.

the brethren, imho, is a better institution. and more well run.

There are cut off points where the fee is different. I think fewer than 50 teams is less than $12 each team but generally it's about $12. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about whether $12 is enough. :wink:

Comparing the Brethren to KCBS is apples to oranges. I wouldn't say I am not buying groceries because I like to drive my car and prefer to pay for gas. They're two entirely different benefits.

After turn-in's I'm always sick of tasting BBQ. I'd be glad to try it but please don't be offended if I taste it, try the tenderness and take it out. I've swapped Q samples with buddies after last turn in before where I just could not stomach swallowing even one more bite. QUOTE]

No problem!! I only have been in one competition thus far and Id probably understand if I got in more but, I sure didnt get sick of it:-D. So I can bring some over (take it or leave it) and I guess the best thing I could get from you is information and maybe a rib or two...

Boogiesnap.. Would there be a benefit in joining both?

well, yes. put that way i'll gladly give my 12 for what they do.

but as far as as bettering BBQ, this forum wins hands down, and thus gets my 35 bucks.

Okay so two questions...
1) when I go to the site and try to join how do I enter a team? It looks like I just join as a member vs a team. Or instead of my name do I just enter a team name?

Is it okay to quote yourself or am I nuts? Whatever I just did it....

The two most important questions were not answered.:-D

Patrick

Okay so two questions...

Is it okay to quote yourself or am I nuts? Whatever I just did it....

The two most important questions were not answered.:-D

Patrick

Back