turkey

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
gonna smoke a turkey this weekend any tips on cookin' this bird....already did a search on temps and such. Thanks in advance!:mrgreen:

A little cut and paste and here you go...

turkey.jpg

recipe from the Virtual Weber Bullet Forum which I’m posting below. For the duck, I’m marinating it as suggested by my Brother in Smoke, Trout Man from the BBQ Brethren. I’m posting his recipe as well.

Apple Brine for Turkey
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
3 quarts cold water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Substitute 3/4 cup Morton Kosher Salt or 1/2 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, and then drop in the peel.

Trout’s Duck recipe
For smoking a goose duck or pheasant this is good and simple:

2 cups of red wine
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion sliced
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1/4 cup olived oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp crushed marjoram leaves
half an apple
rap of celery
half an onion

Place the bird(s) in a non metal container. Add wine with enough cold water to cover, add onion, garlic and bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours. Remove bird(s) pat dry. Rub with Olive oil and sprinkle with salt pepper and marjoram. Stuff cavity with the apple celery and the half onion. Pour the marinade into the water pan or not. Smoke for 3 hours.

Orignially posted on WhiteTrash BBQ

Dang! That looks good!

Here is my favorite receipe modeled after KT's BBQ receipe, I attended one of there smoking schools. I added some of my own twists to it, over all it is a great Recipe. Now I share it at BBQ consulting classes :-D Enjoy!!

Bossman Awesome Smoked Turkey

Planning and Notes;
· Figure about 1 pond raw weight per person when buying, not including allowances for leftovers
· Allow 4-10 hours to thaw a frozen turkey, more if it’s a Tom (18-24 pounds) a nearly thawed bird can finish thawing in the brine.
· Allow 8-12 hours for brining of your turkey.
· If a really crisp skin is desired, allow 4-12 hours to dry the turkey under refrigeration.
· Allow 4 to 4 ½ hours to smoke the turkey which includes extra time to ensure it is ready to serve when your are ready to eat.
· Allow 6-12 hours cook time to smoke your turkey, depending on your smoker.

Key techniques;

Getting a great barbequed turkey is the result of three key techniques. First, the bird is brined, which is simply letting the bird soak in a salt-water solution. During the soak the muscle tissues absorbs the brine, which seasons and adds extra moisture to the turkey.
The second technique is to cook the bird in two stages so that the faster cooking (and faster drying out) breast meat is protected, and the slower cooking thighs and legs are hit with more heat to speed their cooking.
Finally, the use of a good probe thermometer is employed so that the cooking process is stopped at the right internal temperature to preserve maximum moisture and juiciness.

Ingredients;

Brine
2 Cups Kosher or 1 Cup Table salt
2 Cups Granulated sugar
2 Cups Brown Sugar
1 Bottle Maple Syrup
2 Gallons cold water
1 Turkey fresh or thawed, not self-basting, giblets and tail removed, and rinsed thoroughly.

Turkey Mop
1 Stick of butter
½ cup corn syrup
Black pepper and/or other desired seasonings

Wood
Hickory, Oak, Maple or Apple

Procedure

Dissolve the salt and sugar into the cold water in a non-reactive (not aluminum) 12-16 quart stockpot or clean bucket. Add the turkey and refrigerate, or set in a very cool place like the garage for 12 hours. If a crisper skin is desired, allow the turkey to dry out after the brining, uncovered, on a wire rack under refrigeration for 4-12 hours.

Smoking

Procedure;
Pre-heat your smoker to a temperature of 350-400 degrees. While the smoker is heating, remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry inside and out. Tie the wings into the body using cotton string, or cut a small slit into the skin, allowing you to tuck the wing tips inside the turkey. Leave the legs untied to allow the heat to circulate all around them.

Next brush the turkey with the prepared mop, if a dark bronze like skin is desired. If not skip the mop and season the turkey with the desired salt, pepper and other seasonings. Mop the turkey once each hour of smoking.

Place the turkey, breast side DOWN on the center of the grill. Use a v-rack or several carrot sticks to balance the turkey on the grill. Adjust the heat of the smoker if needed, but maintain the 350-400 degree temperature for the first hour of smoking.

After an hour, turn the turkey over, breast side UP, mop the turkey, and damp down the vents or lower the temperature to 200-250 degrees, then continue to smoke. The goal of this cook is to maintain the temperature of 200-250 degrees throughout the rest of the smoking session.

Check for doneness by inserting a probe thermometer horizontally from the end of the breast into the center of the thickest part of the breast. If a remote thermometer is being used, it can be placed in the turkey breast prior to being placed on the grill. Using a manual thermometer, start checking the temperature of the turkey after 4 hours.
The turkey is done when it registers 160 degrees 165 degrees. If while smoking, the breast stars to split or gets very dark, cover the area with foil. When the turkey is done, remove from smoker to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Let rest 20 minutes before carving.

Last edited:
Man, I don't even know what to say about that pic!!!!!
Gotta be one of the best looking turkeys I have ever seen.
Smoke On!!!!!!!!!!!
ed

Thanks Ed.

That turkey was done in the WSM with the old kingsford, Maple and Hickory and left alone. No mopping, no spraying, no turning, no peeking. I took it out of the brine, dried it off and put it in the cooker. It was on the bottom shelf of the WSM with a duck above it. I think the temps were around 300.

No one has mentioned the actual type of turkey you use. I do organic turkey breast quite a bit and find the bird has very good flavor and that brining is essential. With the holidays coming soon I need to start planning my meals for the day after Thanksgiving the day after Christmas, etc. (the restaurant business really farks up the holidays for you).

i like to drape cheesecloth soaked inbutter over the breast for the first hour or two, and put some butter under the skin. This keeps the breast from drying out I havent cooked boob side down yet.

Has anyone ever injected butter (or a butter mix). I know that is kind of what they do with Butterballs.

Wine & Swine said:
Has anyone ever injected butter (or a butter mix). I know that is kind of what they do with Butterballs.

I've tried several creole type injections that were heavy in butter and seasoning. Good stuff. This year we are going a little more traditional and cutting back on the seasoning, for some of the older and more delicates family members:cool:

I think there are a couple of good threads that have recipes or suggestions here on the site.

I always brine any poultry I also throw some fresh thyme, sage, garlic and chopped celery, carrots, and onions in the cavity of the turkey.

I have done the brine deal and I have just pulled the inard's out and made sure the bird was clean and just smoked it!

Have never screwed one up yet.

I don't even use a thermometer since my digital bit the dust - I use the shake the leg method! When if feels really loose the bird is ready to take off the smoker.

Also I have used all kinds of wood and to me it don't matter - it the "slow and low" that does the trick.

Jack Daniels in the brine won't hurt also - but it is a waste!

I've done a few turkeys per the method in the cooking section of TVWBB and they've been good to excellent. The only caveat is to go light on the smoke, turkey's like a sponge for it. Oh, and use cherry if you want that nice red coloring on the skin.

I am planning to smoke a 6.8 lb turkey breast this weekend. I am trying to decide whether or not to brine, inject with something like sherrry butter or marinate with an Alabama White sauce and rub. Any suggestions? I plan on smoking with applewood.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Brining works best for me. A 2 day brine and a slow smoke produces an awesome turkey.

CTSmokehouse said:
I am planning to smoke a 6.8 lb turkey breast this weekend. I am trying to decide whether or not to brine, inject with something like sherrry butter or marinate with an Alabama White sauce and rub. Any suggestions? I plan on smoking with applewood.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Cliff
Check the packaging.

It might be brined already,

Never have I bought a whole breast that was not "packed in a solution of X%" where the X was a number meaning salt brine content

Thanks for the suggestions. It is a fresh Turkey Breast without X%. I looked before I bought. It does have added water.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Just put mine in the brine................gonna start cooking late saturday for noon sunday.

Back