First smoked chicken and MOINK balls

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Home alone so I can play. I am going to smoke my first whole chicken and try some MOINK balls for afternoon snacks. The small 3.8# chicken went into brine at 11:00am. I plan to pull, rinse and dry about 1:30-2:00pm. Then return to the fridge for an hour or 2. Should I put it in the fridge uncovered or plastic wrap. Then it will go to smoker at 250f. Any ideas how long? 165 breast/180 thigh? Then rest. and eat I hope. As to the MOINK balls, I just learned what they were last night. I had to make homemade meatballs. They are in the freezer now waiting for prep (except what I ate). The only pr0n I have so far is the meatballs. I will post more later as they day goes on. Thanks all

Last edited:
Smoker is a 20+ year old SNPP. No mods, I have just learned to cook on it over the years as is. I do plan mods soon though since I have learned a lot lately. I think I might go for a WSM or UDS next. But I will keep the offset too.

MOINK Balls

MOINK Balls done. Chicken on the smoker now.

Last edited:
Some fine lookin MOINKS there.
I luv them things.

Lookin forward to the chicken pics

The chicken

Well.... I have a lot to learn. It tasted fine, but not great and appearance was not great. I did like the brine and will do that again only longer. The rub not so sure. It was looking very dried out and the rub was grainy so I started basting it with melted butter which washed a lot of the rub off. It was also less smokey than I would like. Several people cautioned that chicken takes on a lot more smoke than a brisket, so I was over cautious I think. Wife liked it, but she is not a big smoke fan. I love smoke. It was juicy and very edible so all is well. I will learn and move on. Thanks all

Last edited:
Back