Getting into Comps

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gents

Just need a point in the right direction. I’ve been cooking bbq for a while now and want to try a few comps. I’ve practiced comp cooking and turn in for the last year so I know I won’t embarrass myself but I’m having trouble actually getting accepted into a competition now being an unknown team. Is my best bet just going on kcbs and applying to everything in my neck of the woods and crossing my fingers? There is a big one in nj in July where I live but entry looks doubtful. Have a great Sunday everyone. Also, if there is anyone that would allow me to tag along at a comp to learn just a bit I would be forever appreciative. I can tend tires and help earn my keep. Will fly anywhere one is located if it’s an option to come along and learn as I’ve never been to one. Thanks for the help

Matt

Gents

Just need a point in the right direction. I’ve been cooking bbq for a while now and want to try a few comps. I’ve practiced comp cooking and turn in for the last year so I know I won’t embarrass myself but I’m having trouble actually getting accepted into a competition now being an unknown team. Is my best bet just going on kcbs and applying to everything in my neck of the woods and crossing my fingers? There is a big one in nj in July where I live but entry looks doubtful. Have a great Sunday everyone. Also, if there is anyone that would allow me to tag along at a comp to learn just a bit I would be forever appreciative. I can tend tires and help earn my keep. Will fly anywhere one is located if it’s an option to come along and learn as I’ve never been to one. Thanks for the help

Matt

I can only point you in the direction of the competition forums on BBQ-Brethren... I'm sure one of the mods will move this post.. Those guys would be likely to give you better answers.

I can only point you in the direction of the competition forums on BBQ-Brethren... I'm sure one of the mods will move this post.. Those guys would be likely to give you better answers.

Yep, a mod just happened to see this and moved it :-D. Any time you need one of us to help with something please use the report post button!

Gents

Matt

Hi Matt...

Maybe things are different in your area, but around here all you have to do to get in is fill out the application and send it in with your money. Yeah, some competitions fill up, but those are typically first come, first served.

Are you seeing something different?

Hi Ron

Yeah it seems pretty strict on entry in the northeast. Most of them appear to only allow established teams which makes it tough to be one established

Weird... I can see a popular comp with limited space offering priority to past competitors, like the Jim beam Classic, for example. Are there any smaller comps or new comps? They would be less likely to have that sort of policy.

In my area (intermountain west) of 6 or 7 states the comps all have a number of teams in mind for logistics.... and cooks usually commit via e-mail, then either pay online or drop a check in the mail. Some cooks sign up early because they want a particular spot and/or next to friends. To my knowledge younger teams are just as welcome as a well established teams.

Now.... the organizers love to have a couple of the more well known teams sign up early because 1) this may attract other well known teams, and 2) it tends to make cooks sign up faster and not wait until the last minute. I wouldn't be surprised if a smart organizer contacted teams from the previous year with an invitation to return.

Hi Ron

Yeah it seems pretty strict on entry in the northeast. Most of them appear to only allow established teams which makes it tough to be one established

Popular contests, that have space limitations, can fill up fast. Check in with NEBS https://www.nebs.org/ . They might be able to suggest some contests that wouldn't be as difficult to get into.

Gents

Matt

Are the contests you are talking about KCBS contests?

Gents

Ended up finding and entering two smaller kcbs events through the kcbs website that were not invitational based. Smoke in the woods in balway New York in August and October red white and que in Jackson nj. Both are all four meats, super pumped, now I just need to focus on finishing in the top 50% in my first events. It’s me and my five year old who is obsessed with bbq comps so I’m basically a one man team. I’m going to run 2-3 hunsaker drums based on how easy they look to transport. I just purchased the drums so I have a few solid months to practice. Also ordered the new hot and fast drum dvds from Kosmo. I can cook well but this is a whole new world so any tips are appreciated

Hi Ron

Weird. I never had any trouble we sleep in a minivan and cook under a knockoff ezup.
Got to get in early in the year. Other than running out of space I never have been rejected.
Try contacting the organizer of the comps you want to do. I doubt very much they will reject you. If they do then screw them.
Usually any comp I have been to has been really cool about us being a low budget small team. I think sometimes the wording can be a little confusing.
Contact the organizer and you might be surprised.

Other than Harpoon, I can't think of a comp in the Northeast that screens teams. Check out campgroundbbq.com they have 7 events that they run and they do not screen.

Never had trouble getting accepted into comps around here. Glad you found some to enter.

Practice, practice, practice. Follow your plan and something will go wrong at the contest. Adapting is key

Good luck! Let us know how it goes

@Mattb82 Hello from another Northern NJ team!! Which one in July in NJ were you trying? If it's the State Championship in Wildwood, don't bother with that one yet and yes it can be hard to get into. It's not a fun comp from what I hear. Tiny site sizes, very crowded, very tough competition, etc.

I'm no crazy successful team, but I've been where you are at not that long ago. Still feel like a newb compared to some of these guys. But, we've won some trophies.

There are a couple in our area that you shouldnt have any issue getting into:
- NJ KnoqOut in Blairstown. This one is in two weeks. See if they have any spots left. We are doing it again this year. Campground BBQ are great organizers. Was a great contest last year. Feel free to swing by the Twinning BBQ tent.
- Red White and Que in Jackson will be good. Another Camground BBQ contest
- Smoke in the Grove is popular and apparently good
- Que By The Sea in Seaside Heights in September is good.
- Boo B Que in Delaware is good
- Hartford Rib Off up in Hartford, CT. We did well at this one last year. Great atmosphere and a nice event. Lots of interaction with the locals that are there for the festival/beerfest/etc.
- The Ironman out in Greencastle, PA. Great contest for a newbie. It was our first a couple years ago and it was a nice segway in.
- Que For The Troops - We've done it the last two years and unfortunately they aren't doing it this year for some reason. However, keep it on your radar for next year as it's a good contest and reasonably close to us. Tough one. Lot's of good teams

Don't worry about how you place. Just go have fun! There are some VERY GOOD teams in the area.

Hope to see you around sometime and good luck! I have a few more years, but I can't wait for my son to be able to cook with me.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Last edited:
https://mohegansun.com/sun-bbqfest.html

http://arlie-que.com/event_detail.php?mode=team

Still taking applications. Huge event and highly doubt they will fill up this far in advance.

Used to compete in this area and except for Wildwood almost all would take any team until they hit max sign ups and really just Que for the Troops or Green Lane would hit their max #s. Some give first dibs for X amount of days/weeks to let teams from the prior year sign up again, but then its a free for all.

Good luck out there!

Back