Round Roast Help?

Megawhatt

I had some cuts of meat in the freezer which I had received from a relative so I grabbed one this morning to thaw it and it says Round Roast on it. I did some research and most are saying these are not real great for bbq and are best for thinly sliced roast beef. I do not have a slicer to cut this thing so I'm wondering if what I have planned is a good idea or if I'm way off base.

I got a cast iron dutch oven for my bday couple weeks ago so I was thinking of putting this round roast in there along with some beef broth, mushroom, and onions then putting it on the Akorn until done sorta like a pot roast. So here are my questions.

Should I put rub on the roast first and put it in a hot pan to adhere the rub on it before putting it into the dutch oven?

What temp should I cook this to?

Will this idea even work?

Rub it down and put on the Acorn until it hits 160* internal. then into the covered DO with the broth and veggies until probe tender. Shred and enjoy. It will work out great. Just did two yesterday...............:thumb:

O one more question, any idea how long or what temp you cooked to before it probed tender?

Ah....probe tender is ah....probe tender. The IT doesn't matter. When a wooden skewer goes through it like a hot knife through buttah........it is probe tender. Cook it hot at 275* plus in the DO and that will get you there faster. Oh and when it is probe tender, shred and put back in the juices. back on the cooker or in the oven to reduce the juice by about half........Now dats what I'm talkin' about................:thumb:

I did a Large Bottom Round Roast a cpl months ago - pulled off smoker at IT of 200* - sliced - had to slice thick and it was tough so I chunked all slices is glass casserole dish added beef broth and half squeeze jar of Spicy Mustard and put in oven at 250* for 2 1/2 hrs and it was GOOD - I ate it hot on Toasted SourDough with Swiss Cheese and Spicy Mustard.

null_zps3dee594c.jpg

Back