• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What should you not smoke?

Yea, I'm wondering about that beef roast comment. I've done a chuck roast and it was fantastic.

Every time I smoke, I'll dig through the fridge/freezer to find something else to put on. Mainly as a snack. The only thing I ever smoked that I thought was nasty, was some frozen ravioli.

TNT is probably not a good thing to throw on the smoker... :becky:

I just smoked my first pork belly. It came out great. It won't be the last for sure.

I would never smoke a good steak or a standing rib roast.

Whoa there! A standing rib roast is awesome slow cooked. Start out at 220 for a couple hours and boost to 250 until 130 or so. I have never had better. It is rare/med rare all the way through. No dark ring of overdone on the outside.

Just salt and pepper or did you do something different?

Rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird, four hours on apple wood smoke, four hours wrapped, glazed and 30 minutes more on the smoker -- all at 260-275 degrees. Came out perfect for us. :-D Now Myron might have sent my happy ass home. :rolleyes:

I have been thinking about doing a beef roast. If you do it to just rare in a smoker, do you then throw it on a grill or something to get a nice browned outside? So far I have really only smoked low and slow stuff, except for one leg of lamb, which came out great but I believe I gave it a little char after it was done smoking.

I have been thinking about doing a beef roast. If you do it to just rare in a smoker, do you then throw it on a grill or something to get a nice browned outside? So far I have really only smoked low and slow stuff, except for one leg of lamb, which came out great but I believe I gave it a little char after it was done smoking.
rob what you're describing is a reverse sear...it's what many of us do with steaks, tri tips etc... My smokers happen to do both smoke and sear but smoke to IT and give a quick sear to add color and flavor.

Out of all the veggies I have smoked, squashes really take on too heavy a smoke flavor when done directly over the coals in a UDS. Not so much in my other smokers.

Prolly certain types of fish? Just seems like oily mullet may hang around for quite awhile.

One of the most popular items around the Tampa/St. Pete area is smoked mullet dip. Black mullet is used.

You folks must be lucky that everyone in your family likes smoked everything. The wife, daughter and granddaughters would kill me if I put a standing rib roast in the smoker.

I smoke venison loin wrapped in bacon quite frequently and it never comes out dry. However I keep it over to the rare side. I also have done wild turkey breast with good success. Don't give in to reservations.
Times two on the bacon wrap!

Pumpkins. My brother in law has a pumpkin farm. After 10 tries, all failures, I can honestly say pumpkins. It even makes your pit stinky.

Whoa there! A standing rib roast is awesome slow cooked. Start out at 220 for a couple hours and boost to 250 until 130 or so. I have never had better. It is rare/med rare all the way through. No dark ring of overdone on the outside.

gnbiker. I am with Marty. I did a whole New York Strip which is basically a standing rib roast without the bone. Did it medium rare. It turned out awesome. Everyone coulld not believe how well it came out. Plus the flavor was just off the charts. Here is the best thread on here I have found.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-135632.html

Back