Elk Grove CA. Competition

KB BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the BBQ Brethren, just joined yesterday and I've already spent a ton of time reading like crazy!

I'm interested in doing my first backyard competition at the Elk Grove BBQ Championship and Western Festival next year. Has anyone here competed there before and if so, to you have any tips or pointers specific to that event?

I've never competed there , it's a lot of work to compete , I've done several competitions , 2 sanctioned events and 1 local , you have to be all in and have team mates who are just as dedicated as you ! It's a lot of fun as well , good luck and ask lots of questions !

Thanks Richard. I agree with you about having equally dedicated team mates, I can just imagine if they were not then it would be mostly 1 sided in the effort.

Welcome aboard!

We competed there in 2014 and 2015 but in the Pro division. My memory is not so good but I recall it was a nice venue. I believe their backyard consists of chicken and ribs categories. Looking at the KCBS history, it appears the backyard is judged by KCBS judges so with that in mind the backyard is likely judged similarly with greatest weight on taste, then tenderness, followed by appearance.

I’d say look at the backyard competition rules at Elk Grove link. Looks like garnish is optional but if you decide to garnish, make sure you get something listed as approved in the rules.

Other than that, practice & enjoy eating practice.

Thanks John, I’ll be practicing as soon as the wild fire smoke clears a bit.

I competed this year in the pro division. As the other poster said, nice venue. Ed and his crew really go out of the way to make the teams welcome and add a lot to the competition. I think backyard did ribs and chicken this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Outboard Racer, Thanks neighbor, hopefully I'll see you at a comp.

ClaytonSmoke, Good to know, I live in the area but never went to the competition. I'll have to give it a try.

Hello and welcome from San Jose! My biggest advice for Elk Grove is be ready for wind! It comes out of nowhere sometimes in the morning.

Also, if you live close... go home and get some sleep Friday night since Elk Grove has backyard teams setup on Friday instead of Saturday like most backyard comps :-o

Back