• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Must try rubs?

Arthur D

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am cooking a lot more these days. What do you guys consider to be some must try rubs for ribs, chicken, and brisket.

Yeah, I know it is subjective, but there is a crazy amount of choices.

On the whole, I am not into the idea of heat. I'm in S. Louisiana and the heat card gets played to death. Cajun this and cajun that. It's overdone for my tastes in a rub, I'll add heat with a sauce if I want it.

I am looking for balance, but am partial to the sweet side. But, I suppose I can achieve that extra sweetness with honey towards the end of the cook.

Along with any of Plowboy's and Spicewine's rubs, check John Henry out. The one's I've tried have good flavor and a lot of them come out sweet too.

I am cooking a lot more these days. What do you guys consider to be some must try rubs for ribs, chicken, and brisket.

On the whole, I am not into the idea of heat. I'm in S. Louisiana and the heat card gets played to death. Cajun this and cajun that. It's overdone for my tastes in a rub, I'll add heat with a sauce if I want it.

I am looking for balance, but am partial to the sweet side. But, I suppose I can achieve that extra sweetness with honey towards the end of the cook.

Amen to that:p Being for SW Louisiana myself people figure if the pour on the heat and make you sweat it's Cajun:-D

Amen to that:p Being for SW Louisiana myself people figure if they add enough heat and make you sweat it's true Cajun cooking:-D

I agree with the above.

Heat has it's place but it should be for the flavor. The minute heat starts wipping out the other flavors is when I start looking for some thing else!

Plowboys Yardbird Rub on Chicken and it's amazing on wings as well as boneless pork chops.

Oh, I have my eye on the Plowboy's Yardbird for sure. Spicewine too.

There is too much good talk about it for it to be a bad choice.

I've been cutting the backbone out of whole birds and smoking 'em flat lately. The kids go crazy over it. Picky eaters are cleaning their plate. Can't wait to try it with yard bird. It is so darn easy this way.

For brisket, and any beef I really like Slabs Wow Up Your Cow. For anything else I make my own.

I am gonna order some Plowboys as I hear great things about them..I am done making my own rubs..mine are good and all, but I am missing "something" in them...

Uncle Ernies beef rub and Uncle ernies chicken and pork rub are excellent. BBQ.com has a great products as well.

I say make your own. Take a basic rub and twist it to your liking. It ain't hard to do. If it's to hot take the heat out, if it's to sweet take the sugar out etc. Whole lot cheaper too.

Go to spicebarn.com. You can find that special ingrediant to make your rub just right. I have an allpurpose rub that I liked alot. Then found beer extract powder, added a touch of that and now it is what I aways wanted it to be. I don't buy premade rubs. I go to my spice cuboard and just mix and taste. I do sometimes take a rub from a book and tweek it. I like sweet with ribs and sometimes heat, so I have 4 differnt rubs just for ribs. I like a savory flavor with beef. So I have 3 rubs for beef. Chicken is so universal that I use just about any of the 16 or so rubs I have on hand, that I made.:shock: I hope this helps.:-D

Go to spicebarn.com. You can find that special ingrediant to make your rub just right. I have an allpurpose rub that I liked alot. Then found beer extract powder, added a touch of that and now it is what I aways wanted it to be. I don't buy premade rubs. I go to my spice cuboard and just mix and taste. I do sometimes take a rub from a book and tweek it. I like sweet with ribs and sometimes heat, so I have 4 differnt rubs just for ribs. I like a savory flavor with beef. So I have 3 rubs for beef. Chicken is so universal that I use just about any of the 16 or so rubs I have on hand, that I made.:shock: I hope this helps.:-D

thanks for the info..I will have to give that a try

I agree with the making, it may take a little time and patience but it is MUCH cheaper. I see some of these big brand rubs for 8-9 bucks for a little shaker...what a joke. Usually the bigger 2 lb sizes or 5 lbers you get a break but...still a nice chunk of change.

Must have are ANYTHING from Dizzypig.

Best stuff.

I agree on the good stuff... Red Eye Express for beef, Tsunami spin for all kinds of stuff, and the rest, are must tries... I have use a lot, and they are all good stuff.

I like to make my own,

I also make my own for the most part. I enjoy the fresh smell of the individual bottles as I open them, and then the mix...... just made up a batch for my pork.... real easy, not much time involved, and a whole lot cheaper. The initial investment, at least for me, is getting all of the ingredients. I have bought the large bottles of each of the spices, but have moved up to the 1# bags now.

Back