Lg trailer smoker recommendation

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My friend out in PA caught the bug, after one of the Brethren built him a couple of UDSes (thanks again, Bill). He now is looking for a large trailer smoker for cooking for his church/charity. Bill has a full time job already, so although he is willing to build a smoker, it might be more logical/practical for him to look for a good, used one...saving Bill from insanity trying to do this in a time shortage. Here's what he is looking for:

I'm thinking that I may have to go with a used smoker given the time constraints. I'm still going to work w/Bill, but he also has a "day" job and I don't want to overwhelm him. Let me tell you what I need to be able to do and perhaps you know someone reputable who has one for sale.

I don't want to have to re-heat ribs and we think having the smoker parked out front will help draw people, so it has to look decent (at least). I plan to stagger the ribs so they don't all get done at once, so multiple levels would be great (two tiers maybe). Being able to control heat/smoke and load fuel easily is a big deal. Capacity wise I'd like to be able to do maybe thirty racks on each shelf. Pork I can do in the UDS and that re-heats OK. If at all possible it would be great to be able to use the smoker also as a large grill surface.

I know that Lang and Spicewine are both great. Finding a used Spicewine is hard, though. I did ask Jay for recommenations, but thought I would ask here, too. Any thoughts from those who know about big ones like this?

Thanks

I don't want to have to re-heat ribs and we think having the smoker parked out front will help draw people, so it has to look decent (at least). I plan to stagger the ribs so they don't all get done at once, so multiple levels would be great (two tiers maybe). Being able to control heat/smoke and load fuel easily is a big deal. Capacity wise I'd like to be able to do maybe thirty racks on each shelf. Pork I can do in the UDS and that re-heats OK. If at all possible it would be great to be able to use the smoker also as a large grill surface.

Thanks

That description "30 racks per shelf" is in the ballpark of the twin Lang 84D.
Each side will hold 30+ racks... 60-70 total. Warmers, too.
Would be appealing... if both sides are not required... firing up one side only is an option, too.

84_deluxe_twin.jpg

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang84/lang84_twin.html

Last edited:
Although I want a Spicewine, unless you get a Big Mista BBQ War Wagon, they will not scream BBQ like a Lang or Klose. Those would be my choice for a large trailer smoker, I loved cooking on the Phat Matt's Klose, what a versatile cooker. I also like the Fat 50 from Diamond Plate Products. The Gator Pit that Yellownutz has is a sweet rig if you can find one. All of them will act as billboards for your BBQ.

Here is my idea of BBQ advertising...
IMG_6497.jpg

Last edited:
Why don't you post the budget and see what is available in his price range?
jon

Why don't you post the budget and see what is available in his price range?
jon

I don't know his budget and I'm not sure he does until he talks to the church officials.

Google Gator Pit of Texas and take your choice. Ritch can and will make whatever you need. I love mine. You will too.

Just buzzed quickly through the general for sale/trade & didn't see much going on - I just glanced quickly so there may easily be something I missed. I remember a couple things from earlier in the year that would probably have been good.

Back