The Gentrification Of BBQ

It's that damn hot and fast technique. Or is it pellet poopers and gassers? Wait, wrong thread for that.

Kind of interesting. I skip right over YouTube’s, pbs, Hulu etc showcasing pellet cookers. There’s no doubt in my mind they produce predictably awesome meals.
They are popular for a reason.
For me anyway they don’t produce good tv. Now pits , real wood coals make good tv,again imho. Real pits, their history their photos also make good bbq books.

In that vein, I love golf//but don’t care for tv golf.

It varies, depending on the person.
For me,
Rubs-I make my own from things we use in the kitchen.
sauces-one bottle sitting in the frig for those who want it
injections-don't use
wood chunks-cut from my own property, but before that, I picked up fallen branches and got free trimmings from ornamental fruit trees
fuel-KBB sales and store branded RO, mostly.
accessories (pans, thermometers)-stuff we already use in the kitchen
cooker cost- Two Weber daisy wheel kettles, a 1979 and a 1993
Meat-usually from the marked-down meat section. And, to me, the less expensive cuts of beef have more flavor, so that's what I buy.

It would be easy to spend more, it's just not necessary.
Just an example. Today I found some beef short ribs, marked down to $3.49/lb. Choice grade, but some nice marbling.

Has anyone actually calculated the "cheap meat" cost? Aside from professional catering and BBQ joints?

I haven't, because I know when I do it will be expensive as hell.

Rubs, sauces, injections, wood chunks, fuel, accessories (pans, thermometers), cooker cost .... yadda yadda...

I think our hobby could have once been cheap, and certainly a means to make cheaper cuts of meat taste good, but for most of us it ain't now.

Shh. Next you'll be informing my wife that the meat I get deer hunting is really expensive given license cost, gear, etc

Shh. Next you'll be informing my wife that the meat I get deer hunting is really expensive given license cost, gear, etc
If she's not complaining already, she enjoys your absence.

When I lived in the San Diego area I would go deep sea fishing just about weekly. I had a boat and my fishing buddy had a boat so we just traded off and used whichever boat was running. One evening we were in my driveway cleaning up the days catch, mostly yellowtail, when a neighbor came by and asked if she could buy a fillet, my buddy and I looked at each other and started laughing. I told my neighbor that the cost per pound would be ridiculous and we just gave her a fillet. I would guess that, on average, somewhere between $20 - $40 per pound. Some days we would limit, other days were a long boat ride for 1 or 2 fish. Figure a 100 gallons of gas, 200 pounds of ice, 2 scoops of bait ($40/scoop), probably shouldn't figure in the cases of beer, but will, and that is just the direct cost. If you factor in boat maintenance, might as well be eating gold bricks.

If it was just about eating, probably not worth it, but a day on the water is priceless.

I grew up with a tradition of grilling but not BBQ, so there is no issue for me regarding traditions. That said, I don't like to frequent fancy restaurants that serve home style or types of cuisine that seem out of place in this environment. I'd rather pay for the quality of the food and enjoy the casual atmosphere that traditional BBQ joints have. The one thing that did surprise me and disappoint with a lot of traditional BBQ restaurants I've tried in the US before the recent rebirth and explosion of popularity of BBQ is the fast food decor in a lot of them, it takes away from the experience for me, even though it is as 'authentic' as wooden interiors or cinderblock shack.

But it doesn't bother me they are there, either - things change and in this case the increase in interest has allowed the older places mostly to flourish instead of risking dying out.

What does bother me personally is that all the cuts of meat I've beed slow cooking for decades by braising, curing, BBQing, or low temp oven roasting (this is before sous vide became viable for home use) have suddenly become expensive; the flip side is that traditional BBQ cuts that were unavailable in Europe have become common.

When I was younger we ate smoked tongue, eel, mackerel and carp, we ate pot roasts and brisket braised in foil, we cooked old fatty hens to make chicken soup, and bbed stews with tough cuts of beef that were delicious and tender, with dumplings and fall apart potatoes and carrots. This all disappeared for decades form a lot of people's diets, it was all about expensive cuts of lean meats such ment for short cook times. This was the real tragedy for me, far more than the price rises due to the recent return to more traditional methods and the return of marbling to readily available consumer cuts of meat.

I remember the dark ages of cooking professionally through the '90s when people wouldn't pit anything in their mouths that wasn't leaner than junkyard dog, that had a lick of salt on it, or that had been within a mile of a stick of butter. it0s easy to forget those evil recent decades.

One more thing- everyone had a grill up at the lake where we had a cottage, but of all the families there were only two that knew how to cook a burger or a steak properly, mine and our next door neighbour family friends. We would ask the local bucher to age beef for us for steaks as well, which they didn't previously do, and we always had a few T-bones or ribeyes ready for the weekend that had been hung for at least two weeks, and on occasion our neighbour would get a deal on a large cut and bring it up from the city. When I think of it now, we didn't touch a steak all winter, if you couldn't put it over coals it wasn't worth the expense, was the attitude. We'd also grill shish kebabs, they were the hot trend in the '70s, and of course salmon steaks, and whole trout and perch, and really occasionally some scampi or langoustine.

Back