Stuffed Pork loin/Tenderloin question

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It seems like there have been a lot of posts about these two items in recent days. As usual I get my own ideas on all the variations I can try. But I keep coming up with the following thought;

With both of these being such lean meats, which leads to being to dry if overcooked, how do you make sure the stuffing "elements" get cooked well enough without overcooking the loin/tenderloin itself? Or is it just a matter of choosing the right stuffing that dos not need to be cooked to a high temp?

I mean, for the most part, if you get these meats much beyond 130*-140* they can become awfully dry.

Just curious from those that have done these, do you have or have you had issues with the meats becoming to dry in order to get the stuffing cooked to a hot enough temp?

KC

Last edited:
To me the best way to ensure it is cooked properly in the center is first to saute any veggies that you plan on using like the one I made yesterday with onions and mushrooms and second place the probe of your Maverick or whatever you have in the center while cooking. Once it get close, then check it with the Thermapen. I smoked the loin yesterday in a mini WSM at 275. The veggies help keep things moist as well as the melted cheese. Took a little less than two hours. BTW - the other meat is some grilled venison medallions.

IMAG1117_zps1aedbe53.jpg

Code3RRT- I can't offer you a lot of advice on this other than I cooked two tenderloins together about a month ago. The night before injected them with a mixture of apple cider, cider vinegar, chicken broth, worcester, garlic powder and a dash of hot sauce and then made a coating of mustard and put some BBQ rub on them and put them in the fridge overnight(I was trying to give them some flavor as they can be bland compared to most other pork products as they lack the fat goodness).

I put them onto my WSM when it was around 230 degrees and they cooked quick(I pulled them off after about 1.5 hours when their internal temps hit 148. I should have pulled them off quicker to be honest and next time I will pull them off probably around 135-140 as they were too dry. Flavor was not bad but needed something else(like a stuffing as you are trying to find). Good Luck.

I've done it like benniesdad mentions above. Precook many of the ingredients before rolling them up in the loin. First I trim off the fat & silver skin. Then I start the fillet/slice about 1" from the top of the loin and slice to about 2/3 of the way in, then 1" down and then back to the front where I started stopping about 1" short, basically making a trifold. There are instructions on the interwebs on how to fillet a pork loin. I use butcher's string to lace it back up. Just be careful not to overload it. It's hard to roll back up & the guts start oozing out when it's cooking, especially cheese. I always go to 150F internal, wrap in HD Foil, wrap in a towel and into the cooler for at least 1/2 hour but prefer an hour. Never had a dry loin yet...

My favorite is Pizza Roll. Browned sausage, sautéed onions & peppers, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, dried basil, and what ever else happens to be handy. Serve with a little pizza sauce over the slice of loin and dusted with parmesan cheese with garlic bread on the side. Cheers!!!

Good question, I've been wondering myself. Last year in my early days of smoking I stuffed a pork loin (dried fruits reconstituted in vodka), it was okay but not as rich and flavourful as I was expecting.

SIMG0129.jpg

SIMG0155.jpg

Lately I just smoked some commercially cured peameal bacon and it was fantastic -- which is basically just hunks of cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal. Next time I'll try my own cure.

P1010351_zps4795b4bc.jpg

P1010382_zpsca97c490.jpg

P1010380_zps03914736.jpg

P1010384_zpse7fcb4cb.jpg

I remember Phubar saying that no lean meat is dry if you cook it right and I'd love to know what he does. I'll have to PM him.

Last edited:
I've found that using a high-fat content item like sausage in the stuffing, and/or wrapping the outside with bacon like a fattie has worked very well for me. Nice and moist. :thumb:

Kathy dragged me into this thread...thanks Girl!:thumb:

Someone posted they were concerned about smoking a really lean meat and you replied something like you can smoke anything without drying it out if you do it right.
True...I can remember telling that to a Brethren yes.

I don't do much brining or injecting but when I do it is not for making the meat moist but to get some salt Phlavour into the bland meat.

In Holland we have much leaner cuts than the US so I'm more used to cook lean meats.
Brethren Code said it in his opening post that if you take the porkloin higher than 130F it will dry out...well...that's it!
I shoot for about 125F-129F and wrap it in Phoil.
The pork will look pink and not white...white tells me that it may have some juice in it but it becomes dry.

I might be wrong but it's quite safe to it pinkish pork nowadays rather than years ago when it was unsafe.

BTW...Tish's idea about stuPhing it with a Phat sausage sounds like a good plan to keep it moist on the inside.
Hmmm...that sentence sounds really good in a "dirty" way!:becky:

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4879_zpse946c3eb.jpg

Last edited:
Looks magnificent, Phubar, thanks for weighing in with pron and a joke, too! I'll be working a pork loin into my TDs soon and try out the advice and good ideas on this thread.

Back