Best BBQ Cleaner EVER!

alecksjaycubs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just found this at my local Ace Hardware (Chicago area). I needed to clean my Mak to get it ready to sell and figured I'd give it a shot. OMG it's awesome! The sticky black gunk on my hood started to melt off as soon as I put it on. A light scrub with a no scratch Scotch Bright and it rinsed right off. Darn thing looks almost new. It says it's safe for plants so just did everything outside. I used it full strength but I think that a diluted solution will keep things looking great now that it's clean.

http://www.challengercleaner.com

I have no interest in this in any way... Just sharing a terrific product.

Not sure I would use this. Just because it's safe around plants doesn't make it food safe. The only things I use to clean my smoker are steam and elbow grease.

On the inside or the outside of the hood?

Caustic Potash (Potassium hydroxide is the main ingredient.. I just read the MSDS) used in a very dilute form in hair removal products. It's a pretty strong base but if you clean it out of your grill well.. I don't think you will have a problem.

Not sure I would use this. Just because it's safe around plants doesn't make it food safe. The only things I use to clean my smoker are steam and elbow grease.

Brushing and a light cleaning with steam while hot makes for easy clean-up after every use. Easy to do while the meat is resting.

Not sure I would use it given the safety question. I found Dawn Power Dissolver to be very effective if you can find it.

But even if I wanted this Challenger cleaner, it's not available in my state -- only a handful of states in the midwest.

Only when you are trying to sell it.

Dunno. If I was a possible buyer, guy tells me about this great smoker and how he has created all this great food on it, and I show to see something that looks like it just came out of the box, it's gonna make me wonder. Either A) he's lying to me and something is wrong with it or B) he don't know what he is doing.

:loco:

Clean out any grease pan, scrub the grates, but don't get rid of any seasoning...

(I am only somewhat kidding about this)

There is a natural and very effective way to clean a cooker. Hit it with a 2800# pressure washer. What doesn't come off belongs there. :wink:

I'd love to see you clean a Weber kettle with that and not be chasing after it as you knock it around!:mrgreen:

Dunno. If I was a possible buyer, guy tells me about this great smoker and how he has created all this great food on it, and I show to see something that looks like it just came out of the box, it's gonna make me wonder. Either A) he's lying to me and something is wrong with it or B) he don't know what he is doing.

:loco:

Clean out any grease pan, scrub the grates, but don't get rid of any seasoning...

(I am only somewhat kidding about this)
That works. I was only somewhat kidding with my remark, too.

Built my UDS this spring, and doubt I will use it all winter(to cold here) should I steam clean it before covering it up for the winter ?

I would not 'steam' clean it. That would remove all the oils and grease. You may end up with a big ball of rust. Wait until spring then steam clean it.

Back