When I cook ribs I like them better the next day.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
It never fails, when I'm the one smoking ribs (or whatever's on the smoker) I enjoy it better the next day. It just taste better to me. I think it may have something to do with my smelling it all day and messing up my senses. Does anyone else have this issue?

Many have discussed this same effect. I will often shower during the rest with fresh clothes. Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference

I made ribs and chicken thighs on Saturday and when I ate left overs on Sunday I liked them better. Seemed like they had more of a smoke taste.

in total agreement with you...I think we become desensitized to the smoke
cause we're in it all day...but the next day food tastes a lot better....

Is it taste or texture? If its texture foiling your ribs for longer will give you the tender texture like rehearing does.

It's not desensitization at all, I think, or if it is, it's only in part. Think about smoked cheese for a minute. It's good, from the first day, but wait a couple weeks and...

Besides, when I do the smoking, Redhot notices the same thing, and vice versa.

Hell, I even noticed it with some pulled pork we bought at Bob Gibson's to bring home after our last visit to Decatur. I've been disappointed with Gibsons the last few times we've had it over the years, but that was eating it the day it was cooked. This last trip, we got a big order (Hey, my mom was paying so if you're wondering why when we aren't that enthused...) to bring back, mostly for the smoked turkey (Which is quite good, by the way). First night we were again disappointed. Not much smoke flavor at all. The next day though, it was a transformation from meh to DAMN! Had to rethink my opinion a bit.

I cooked a Rack of St Lou's yesterday between thunder storms they never made it to the plate they where like Tater chips I could not stop,..... the whole rack was gone in like 10 min.:oops:

Bbq the next day always better for me, especially brisket.

Instead of bacon and eggs you should try brisket and eggs and roll them into a breakfast tortilla with some cheese, it's nuts good. Don't be shy with the meat either...

Bbq the next day always better for me, especially brisket.

Instead of bacon and eggs you should try brisket and eggs and roll them into a breakfast tortilla with some cheese, it's nuts good. Don't be shy with the meat either...

Fried in it's own fat with toast and eggs works well too...

brisket_zpsd7fb914c.jpg

fry1_zpsb1021771.jpg

plate_zpsa96d607d.jpg

I actually over-cook and keep some ribs for later. I just reheat them in the oven, sometimes even add stuff to the foil pack as if I was doing comp ribs. They have become my favorite.

I made 4 racks for Mothers Day and two racks were left over (surprising...) I guess it was the smoked mac and cheese offset! Anyway, I took them with me the next week for a guys weekend away at a competition shooting event. No left overs there. Me and a friend ate the two racks after I reheated them in the RV oven.

For me it isn't just ribs - it's pulled pork, chuck, brisket, all that. I actually had a profound experience with Bigmista's pastrami - cold - this week. :redface:

Have you ever inhaled water while swimming? Do it on purpose after cooking, it will clear out the smoke from your sinuses and everything will taste better.

I ran over to a buddy's house today to help him install an awning... as soon as I walked in he said "Oh damn, what are you smoking today?"

Once I realized he meant "what was I cooking" I replied "turkey over cherry" and he commented that someone should make a cologne that smells like that.

My wife agrees, which is why I'll go to bed after a full day cooking without a shower and enjoy the Que more the next day. ;)

Have you ever inhaled water while swimming? Do it on purpose after cooking, it will clear out the smoke from your sinuses and everything will taste better.

My name is Vanbo, and I too snort tap water.

I do my best to keep my head out of the smoke but, that's nearly impossible. I will also shower and change shirts all to enjoy the fruits of my labor a bit more.

My food always has a nice smoke ring but I'm still asking the wife and kids how the smoke flavor is.

Back