• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Impressed with Sam's Club Pork Butt by the Case

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just recently got a Sam's Club membership (my boyfriend's mother added me onto her existing account for free).

I just bought a case (76 pounds) of IBP Pork Butt for $1.38/lb, which I'm splitting with my brother. (Cost $105 plus tax).

I'm impressed because I just now noticed that the cryo packs say on them: "All Natural". This means they aren't "enhanced" or watered down--yay!

I believe the Tyson pork butt I bought at Walmart for $1.99/lb was
"enhanced" by about 10% (correct me if I am wrong).

If this is the case, then I'm saving even more than 62 cents per pound.. maybe around 75 cents per pound? Loving this.

Can't wait to make some buckboard bacon!

You're probably right about the Wal-Mart butts being enchanted, they are around here. I tend to buy my butts from Sam's always all natural.

Last edited:
I always buy my pork from Sam's. It's priced right and good quality.

Have never bought butts at Sam's by the case. Have always bought them there by the 2 pack - usually 8-9 lbs each. They have always been of excellent quality.

Sam's Club has some really good meat, in my opinion. Some of the best lamb chops I've ever made came from Sam's. Pic have yet to get some pork butts, but will be getting my next butts there most likely.

Piggley Wiggley has the best price on pork down south most of the time Sure Value has boston buts this week for .98 Sams here prices based on area wants around 2.00 per pound
I always buy my brisket at Sams. Sometimes I catch baby back ribs at the Pig for 2.30lbs
last time I bought 30 slabs have 4 left

Attachments

• 20130721_161029.jpg
    20130721_161029.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 353
Keep in mind that just because something is labled "All Natural" doesn't mean it wasn't injected with a salt water solution. Salt and water are both natural things so it is perfectly legal to lable meat treated with it all natural.

Keep in mind that just because something is labled "All Natural" doesn't mean it wasn't injected with a salt water solution. Salt and water are both natural things so it is perfectly legal to lable meat treated with it all natural.

It may be natural, but if it goes above the level that is normally found in the meat, it has to be labeled.

sams

buy my buts,sparibbs,pork loin,and brisket at sams shure beats the he$$ out of krogers butts about halve ass much and better quality

It may be natural, but if it goes above the level that is normally found in the meat, it has to be labeled.

Right. You just have to read the label carefully. All chicken at my local Sam's is "All natural" and it is "All Injected."

The pork butts at my Sam's are not injected and I'm pretty happy with the quality. I do not recall if they are IBP or not.

Most wholesale clubs offer case prices....

And yes, it's great to get more for your money...

Here's another link to buckboard bacon...

http://texascookin.blogspot.com/2009/02/buckboard-bacon-at-home.html

Just remember Pink Curing Salt and Morton's Tender Quick are not directly interchangeable.

I think I might be doing the same thing... Going to Sam's tonight to pick up a couple butts for sausage. Maybe I will do so bacon too. This is actually the first I have heard of buckboard bacon.

I might have to pick up another fridge and freezer just for meat!!!

Chris

I think I might be doing the same thing... Going to Sam's tonight to pick up a couple butts for sausage. Maybe I will do so bacon too. This is actually the first I have heard of buckboard bacon.

I might have to pick up another fridge and freezer just for meat!!!

Chris

I never heard of it either but will be trying some how many butts come in a case?

Sams generally carries IBP which is not enhanced. Decent pork. I have found that its gotten way leaner (for a pork butt)over the years though

I have smoked a couple of butts from Sam's Club and they seem to be good quality and are very good priced. There spare ribs are very good at a good price as well.

When I had a Sams Club account I always got my pork butts there. They wouldn't make me buy the whole case either. I could just get single cryo with two butts in it, just had to ask one of the people there to fetch me one and slap a label on it.

We're Costco now and am really bummed they don't have bone-in butts.

Back