My first comp

R

Rub-A-Dub

Well got every thing done for the smoker, Got the supplies, E-Z ups, coolers, all kitchen supplies, and ready to go. Then I look at the weather forcast and it is 70% chance of rain. Whats a brother to do? Hope this thing go off saturday with out the rain. Hoping for the best, Maybe some of the brethern can work their magic and make the rain go away LOL. :-D:-D

better pack a poncho and some mud boots. I'd take rain over 3 degrees though.

Thanks Thom for the grape!!!!!!!! That stuff burns awesome!!!

Rainy cookoffs are always best. I did about five of them last year and finished well in each. It is nice to have the Stumps with insulation when it rains.

wow first comp rained first day, pack a poncho, grab a umbrella for turnins, no matter what have a great time.

oh yes most forget about mother nature comes to play in the BBQ mix of things.

Good Luck, I hope you have a EZ up shelter!

Well got every thing done for the smoker, Got the supplies, E-Z ups, coolers, all kitchen supplies, and ready to go. Then I look at the weather forcast and it is 70% chance of rain. Whats a brother to do? Hope this thing go off saturday with out the rain. Hoping for the best, Maybe some of the brethern can work their magic and make the rain go away LOL. :-D:-D

My advice is, if they are calling for heavy rain, be sure to lay in extra beer, because you won't be walking around as much, you will want to drink more. Oh yea, you might want to pack a raincoat, umbrella and hat, of course, if you take enough beer, you wont worry about wearing a raincoat. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!

You may want to get some tarps and some velcro. You can make cheap sides to your popup with it. If the rain blows there is less room to get out of it.

Good luck, stay dry. I'm sure you thought of it, but bring extra clothes.......no reason to ride home wet.

Isnt ponchos cheating.

Good luck and more importantly, have fun.

Have fun Rub. A little rain ain't gonna be a big deal.....plus it's hard to feel bad for you CA guys when it comes to the weather......:evil::biggrin:

Good luck and have a blast!!!!

rain

I second the mud boots best $15 I have spent. They stay in the trailer for when needed. Nothing better than dry feet.
Eric

FYI, if the wind comes up, the sides on the canopy can sometimes become more of a sail, so make sure you tie the thing down well. Winds do accompany the storms. My second and third comp it rained. We had a huge dust storm and high winds at my first comp. I'll take the rain. When I arrived home after my first comp. I had to have a roofer replace shingles. I was whipped plus it wasn't worth breaking my neck to replace the missing ones myself.

Ummmm...Palm Desert is next Saturday. I hope you don't drive up there tomorrow...

Anxious Mod

Hopefully you're not talking about the comp at the Rocke, that was postponed.

Man!!!!!! What a first comp!!! Ok this was a comp but it was also a feed the masses fund raiser thing. Where do I begin. Ok first I got a case of the nerves Friday. Made stomach go hay wire and could not get started untill late Friday. Then can't get ahold of the guy who was making my banner. Got part of thing setup but I did not know I needed a constuction crew when I got there.:rolleyes: These people were going for best boot and best sponcer area. One team made thing look like it was little Mexico complete with a water founton. Sence my nerves mess thing up Friday had to do last min shopping at Walmart at 3:00 in the morning. Got there about 4:00 and started smoker. They told us we would get our ribs at 5 a.m. but they droped them off at 4:45. needless to say the smoker was not up to temp. Then we had a propane grill that I had rented for this and it only have worked. Then in the middle of thing 3 out of the 4 burners stop or only half a$$ed worked. Made a turkey frier pot full of apple beans and they went in about an hour and a half. That was the only good thing that happened today :-D.

Ok lessons learned!!

CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT TO COMP!!!!!
Make sure you spouce puts all the bags in the truck.
Make twice as much rub and sauce as you think you will need.
Find a reliable banner company so you will have a banner.
Get tables that extend!!!!!!
Make sure you have plenty of storage bins. Seams like I brout home more than I took.
Take one more table that you think you will need.

Thats all I can think of right now. To tired to think right now. And yes spectators are a pain sometimes. And yes I have pics. Will post as soon as I can get them off the camara. Thanks for all of the brothern help along the way. Maybe next time it will not be so bad.

Hey, I bet ya had alot of fun even though things didn't go your way. Look at the bright side...... no body died! Now that you understand how a contest works, get back on the horse and cook another one.:biggrin:

Back