CL Score: ranch kettle - and question for new style ranch owners

chasmosis

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Another brethren asked about the CL listing earlier last week, I saw it about the same time, made some inquiries and picked it up saturday for $150
CIMG0098a.JPG

The ranch kettle with the fleet
CIMG0098.JPG

Pic of the grill
CIMG0100.JPG

Here is the lid standing up against my UDS
CIMG0105.JPG

and a pick of my performers lid sitting on the grate for size comparison
CIMG0101.JPG

I do need to clean up and pain the wheels and get a new hubcap for one side, I guess both sides so they match
CIMG0102.JPG

I haven't fired it up yet, but I'm hoping to get something on it in the next couple days

I do have a question to ask those of you that have a newer ranch kettle, I want to fab a lid holder for it like on the newer ranches and am hoping one of you guys might be willing to indulge me and break out the tape measure I'm looking for the following measurements.

• around the outside of the kettle between the mounting holes for "wire lid holder assembly"
  • from kettle to 90 degree bend in "wire holder lid assembly"
  • from kettle to "wire lid holder assembly" about 1/2 way around
  • from "wire lid holder assembly" to bottom of hook on "tuck-away support bracket"
Thanks

5zponFjYIe0Y9mBoD29CvPu6hGi3vlu6Yojx6MPkY8s

Great find on the Ranch. Glad a Brother got it. Sorry I can't help you on the measurements.

Sorry can't help you here, but that smokey joe looks funny next to the ranch. :becky:

I can't help you too much but I can say that on a Performer (an older SS version at least) the lid does not slide to 90 degrees. I will look into the actual distances around the performer and let you know.

I have to admit when I saw it on CL I thought it was ugly. Looks a lot better setting on your deck. Good score.

I bet weber customer service would help you with some new parts and dimensions for that. You could probably buy the new lid holder assembly and install it on the old one.

If you want to build your own, you make one out of light guage wire and find the size that fits the lid the best. Prehaps even better than factory.

It depends on the wheels, whether you want the "Blast From The Past" look or modern. I like the modern look. Either way, it will look great when it is all fixed up. Keep us posted on your work. Have fun fixing it up.

Holy flying saucer batman... I am always amazed at how large the ranch kettles are when placed next to another grill. Nice score.

Hey chasmosis, that is such a nice score! Your gonna luv indirect grilling tri-tips on it. I have a 37.5 Whalen Kettle King. I use it as a grill once in a while but mostly I indirect grill on it.

Whalen used a completely different system for lid management that involves a heavy duty steel ring that encircles the whole kettle bowl. The back quarter of lets you easily slide the lid back and down and then a good tug pulls it back into the closed position.

If you find the Weber system too pricey to recreate then cloning the Whalen setup and applying it to your kettle mite be an option. When I bought mine I made a thread. Here's the thread link....I took a lot of pics and you can see the lid management components up close.

If you need me to take any measurements just let me know.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709

love the kettle. call me if you want the part numbers and when you want to fix it and put together

If you are still looking for measurements pm me and I can take any measurements you would like. BTW Great Score that thing is awesome, I love the all steel wheels:clap2:

Back