Rib selections?

D

Derek

Which selection of ribs do you guys use mainly for KCBS judges?

Jeff a KCBS certified judge told me that he said St Louis style ribs are ok, So it got me wondering.

Sould I use them for the rib fests? or stick to the ribs I like to handle and cook?

Hard to find but look out for kosher ribs...

babyback or St. Louis
if I use St. Louis style that's pretty much trimmed.

And if I just remove the membrane that's not cheating too much right? ( prep time is of the essence ) and I want 1-2 hours marination time in the fridge )

8am to -12pm ( turn in time ) will give me the chance for 1 hour marination time? and be able to use the 3 1 1/2 method?

Skip the "marination" Derek. Doesn't add anything. Peeling the skin takes 5 seconds.
Besides, there's no fridge at a rib cook off. :)

Skip the "marination" Derek. Doesn't add anything. Peeling the skin takes 5 seconds.
Besides, there's no fridge at a rib cook off. :)
You have a point Bubba, but at the Silver lake cook out I will have a fridge with a bath bathroom near buy :)

Al ready got my entry form all filled out for silver lake, and purchased enough space for a 17 ft trailer I can use at the cook out.

You might want to double check your math. 8 - 12 is 4 hours. 1 hour marinading, then 3 -1 -1/2 is a total of 5 1/2 hours. You need at least 15 minutes to get the turn in ready. You can do spares in that time, but you'll need to kick the temp up. I cook spares at 275 and they normally take 4 1/2 hours if I foil.

If the judges are CBJs, then you'll do fine with either spares or baby backs, but if the judges are off the street I think baby backs will do better.

You might want to double check your math. 8 - 12 is 4 hours. 1 hour marinading, then 3 -1 -1/2 is a total of 5 1/2 hours. You need at least 15 minutes to get the turn in ready. You can do spares in that time, but you'll need to kick the temp up. I cook spares at 275 and they normally take 4 1/2 hours if I foil.

If the judges are CBJs, then you'll do fine with either spares or baby backs, but if the judges are off the street I think baby backs will do better.
Thank you bro, I've put a call into Jeff and see if I will have time for the 3-2-1 method. and I may skip the marination as you pointed out.

How ever I'm going to salt the crap out of the judges batch of ribs ( I'll be cooking 2 set's that day ) one for us and one for the judges.

My mom & my brother will be doing the turn in boxes...

Thank you bro, I've put a call into Jeff and see if I will have time for the 3-2-1 method. and I may skip the marination as you pointed out.

How ever I'm going to salt the crap out of the judges batch of ribs ( I'll be cooking 2 set's that day ) one for us and one for the judges.

use it, but don't go too nuts on the salt - think "balance"

Not 3 tablespoons, that will be too much. You have to remember you are gonna glaze with a sauce, which adds salt as well. I also suggest you skip the marinade if you can stand to. If you can't start until 8, and turn in time is 12, here is how I would look at it.

8:00 am - Fire kettle up, pull membrane, stabilize heat in kettle below 250F, slather and rub
8:20 am - Put ribs on, resettle kettle
10:45 am - Pull and foil ribs, increase heat to 300F
11:30 am - Pull ribs from foil and put on kettle, get prepared box, pull and cut ribs
11:45 am - Head for turn in.

I would seriously consider baby backs as they cook faster.

Not 3 tablespoons, that will be too much. You have to remember you are gonna glaze with a sauce, which adds salt as well. I also suggest you skip the marinade if you can stand to. If you can't start until 8, and turn in time is 12, here is how I would look at it.

8:00 am - Fire kettle up, pull membrane, stabilize heat in kettle below 250F, slather and rub
8:20 am - Put ribs on, resettle kettle
10:45 am - Pull and foil ribs, increase heat to 300F
11:30 am - Pull ribs from foil and put on kettle, get prepared box, pull and cut ribs
11:45 am - Head for turn in.

I would seriously consider baby backs as they cook faster.
Thanks LandArc.

If it's a KCBS contest you can do your marinating, etc anytime after meat inspection. Just work backwards from turn in allowing time for boxing.

If it's a KCBS contest you can do your marinating, etc anytime after meat inspection. Just work backwards from turn in allowing time for boxing.
it is,

Now if I don't add any salt at all? Will the judges know if my rub & glaze, bbq sauce is flavorful?

Back