First cook on the new cooker!!

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I ran about 14 hrs worth of wood thru it and I guess it's time to put some meat it.
I have a 14lb packer from albertsons to put on and a buddy has another 10lb packer plus we had a filleted pork but with potatoes, onions, and lime and a whole lot of butter and seasoning.

BUT FIRST was the biscuit test. I ran it about 315 for 20 minutes and here's what it looked like.

Last edited:
It was 8 in the morning and the sun was at my back so thi pic didn't reflect how even the biscuit color was.
So the meat goes on gonna try to stay around 275.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the cooker for those that didn't follow the build.

Last edited:
Nice looking cooker! The biscuits look nice and even!

BTW, you can have more than one attachment in a post. If you want to put comments in between the pictures you can upload the pictures to a photo hosting site like Photobucket and use the IMG Code from that hosting site and put that inline in your post.

Thanks for posting the link RonL.
This thing turned out better than I thought. The wood consumption is next to nothing. Once I got a good fire going and shut the door at 8 this morning I have only added 2 splits to maintain 275. It now 11:45. Dang thing cruises like my UDS!!

Ill start posting the pics from the computer. I think I know how to do that on it.

The door has a perfect seal so airflow management is easy.

Last edited:
I will keep this one but my plans are to start building and selling. I would do one like this or a back yard cooker. I don't have anything going right now so I have plenty of time to work on it. It took realistically 6 days to have this one ready for paint. I think a backyard would be ready for paint in 2 days. That's once I got the metal rolled and broke of course! So if anybody needs a backyard or pull behind let me know!!!

I will keep this one but my plans are to start building and selling. I would do one like this or a back yard cooker. I don't have anything going right now so I have plenty of time to work on it. It took realistically 6 days to have this one ready for paint. I think a backyard would be ready for paint in 2 days. That's once I got the metal rolled and broke of course! So if anybody needs a backyard or pull behind let me know!!!
What do you estimate you will charge for a pull behind just like the one pictured?

Cooker looks very good, heck of a job! What do you think a back yard cooker would cost. You ever thought about going into business making these full time???

After 13 hrs on the cooker the brisket hit roughly 190 on the flat. Probe test wasn't bad but it really needed a little more time. But it'll be ok. A buddy of mine did a 10lb packer. At 4 hrs we put his in a pan and I rolled mine in butcher paper. His was done at 9 hrs and according to him and his wife it was off the chain good. The best they had ever had hands down. Mine hopefully will be good also. We have a comp this weekend so this was a good test on foil pan VS butcher paper. Mine is resting until in the morning.

The cooker performed flawless. Only had to add 1 split per hr to maintain 275°. We got bored and started messing with the intake on the box and with every change the temp would respond accordingly. We were able to change the temp 10° at a time.

Here is a pic before I wrapped it up in Saran Wrap for the night.

Last edited:
Back