**Imperial Kamado** CL Score/Restoration Project

Man o Man, Brian that is just awesome and you should be very proud. Greeeaaat Job!

Swamprb, that's not a cooker. That's a freaking work of art. I love my egg, but that cooker may be the coolest one I've ever seen.

Brian, that new "egg" looks great in red! Congrats on the good craftsmanship, especially on the fire box. :cool: Thanks again for the inspiration to finish mine. Now I just need to find the extra time.

As for the other one, I like that sponge idea.

I replaced my BGE felt with a Rutland flat fiberglass rope about 3 years ago, and it has been great. Just make sure to cure the glue the right way. Don't worry about creating extra space, because you only put the felt on one side. I would probably recommend the top, because I have knocked mine a couple of times with tongs or a spatula or the ash scraper.

Rope Gasket vs Flat Braid? Kamado Repair in Vancouver, Canada

Just realized I should actually start a new post for my Kamado/BGE restoration, "Project Humpty," instead of tagging it on Swamprb's existing one. Keeps everything much tidier this way. Ciao!

May
----
Kamado / BGE (2008 Jan)
Cobb Barbeque (2006 Jul)

Last edited by a moderator:
New Guy here.

I recently came by a Kamado that is need of some TLC. I have repaired the broken fire box, but it still needs a new gasket, grill, damper top, and some new paint. My question is this - what type of paint is recommended for the exterior?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I have rebuilt one and am about to do another. I used regular spray paint. Some people use high temp engine paint, but you shouldn't be getting a clay cooker that hot. If the paint starts to fade, i have the temp too high. Haven;t had an issue yet, and have been using it for 6 months or so now. I painted one base color and sponged another color on top of it. Looks cool. Will post pics if i can find some.

New Guy here.

I recently came by a Kamado that is need of some TLC. I have repaired the broken fire box, but it still needs a new gasket, grill, damper top, and some new paint. My question is this - what type of paint is recommended for the exterior?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Post some pics of your progress!

Well, I'm going to give this a shot too. Just picked this up off of CL - probably over paid ($75), but what the heck... Figured I'll use it for pizzas and steaks. Fire box is in a few pieces and I think I'll repaint it a better color. The person I bought it from said it was sold im Mexico through WalMart - but I can't find anything on the web about it.

Attachments

• Kamado1.jpg
    Kamado1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Kamado2.jpg
    Kamado2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 350
Well, I'm going to give this a shot too. Just picked this up off of CL - probably over paid ($75), but what the heck... Figured I'll use it for pizzas and steaks. Fire box is in a few pieces and I think I'll repaint it a better color. The person I bought it from said it was sold im Mexico through WalMart - but I can't find anything on the web about it.

That is a very interesting looking Kamado! The cart is pretty cool-the bottom draft looks like it might be stainless steel. Is it ceramic or clay? Nice score James!

It's definately clay. The dome has a few chips on it, so you can see beneath the paint. The drafts must be stainless - no rust and they slide easily.

Couldn't find any furnace cement at Home Depot, so I got to look around a little tomorrow.

Do you have to use high temp paint on the outside?

I think you got a steal on that Pot - congrats! I used high-temp paint (flat black)..... just depends how you plan on using it. I purchased my furnace cement at ACE Hardware under the brand name "Rutland". Google Rutland Furnace Cement.

Good luck and post your progress.

Here's my repaired fire box. I've gone after it with some sand paper, but I think I'll hit it again with a wire brush before putting on the furnace cement.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 359
Looks like you are making progress. I see the lump in the background - that's the same brand I use.

Thanks for the update.

I got the furnace cement applied. Now, on to the next repair - you can see that part of the edge under the gasket has chipped away. I think I'll use some more furnace cement to build it back up and then a new gasket.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 317
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 312
Back