Smoker suggestion for small competitions

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Im shopping around to get a new smoker that i can use at home. However i would like to be able to bring it to a competition 1 or 2 times a year and have some fun.

How big would i need the smoker to be to compete KCBS? I wouldnt be trying to cook much, just enough to enter each catergory and have fun. Maybe 3 slabs ribs, brisket, a butt, and some chicken thighs.

20x36 with two racks? 20x40 two racks? larger? smaller?

Thanks!

20x40 would be great If your gonna cook 1 brisket, 2 racks ribs, 1 butt, I. Think you will need a separate grill for chicken, IMHOa:wink:

Oooh. Am I going to be the first one to throw out the token brethren response? Build yourself a UDS. You can easily handle that line-up in a drum, plus they're very easy to transport.

You'll find most everything out there in a KCBS comp, from multiple UDS's, multiple BGE's or WSM's, to offsets & reverse flow offsets of most every size, and big and small cabinet smokers.

I mean, it's really up to you. What do you enjoy cooking with/on? <-- question for you to ask yourself

Dont let size fool you, nor price of the smoker. Most of the more expensive smokers just allow the cook to get a few hours of sleep. Doesn't mean that they cook better or produce better results. Harry Soo competes very effectively with his 2 or 3 WSM's.

thanks for the replies.

i would like to spend around $1500. Mostly this is for backyard use, and i have a lot of fun with my home made offset stickburner right now, so tahts what i would like to look for. or charcoal and chunks.

thanks!

OK, you might look into two 22" WSM's for butts, brisket and ribs and a 26" Kettle for chicken.

Heck, save up a little more and get a Pitmaker Safe...the Vault is my dream cooker, but would settle for a Safe.

Right now I use Traegers and Kamado Joes, that way I can keep better color and moisture, add smoke or charcoal flavor when I want, and can dial in temps quickly. Traegers do excellent chicken. I would rather have several grills and a Stoker. I like messing with them and trying out new temps and times, so if your method changes, you can work it with different cookers.

thanks for the replies.

i would like to spend around $1500. Mostly this is for backyard use, and i have a lot of fun with my home made offset stickburner right now, so tahts what i would like to look for. or charcoal and chunks.

thanks!

You can get into a Backwoods Party for that money....of course I'm biased however......it'll hold everything you need, has a removable water pan so you can grill stuff in it (your competition chicken!) over direct coals, is light (about 130lbs), and the product they turn is excellent! Here is a party LOADED with pork butts!

Attachments

• butts on party.jpg
    butts on party.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 148
The OP has said he wants an offset below $1500.

With that in mind, Lang, Klose, and other builders come to mind.
They all have a moderate size line of cookers much like you describe.
There is a company in PA that makes a much recommened offset, I just can't remember who.

Also, Offsets seem to show up on EBay and CL often in the NE--something to check.

Shopping is always fun, for BBQ stuff that is :-D

Good Luck.

TIM

I think you need to consider two things:

1. Are you willing to stay up all night and feed a stick burner.

2. Can you afford a trailer to get the cooker back and forth to a competition every time.

A Backwoods Party like suggested above is only 130 lbs and can fit in a Mini Van easily. It can smoke all of your entries for long periods of time without tending allowing you to get a good night sleep. There are dealers in New Hampshire and New York State. The choice is ultimately yours.

Back