Meat dimensions.

Ufo8mycow

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am starting to plan for building a backwoods style smoker and I am stuck at what size racks to use. Can someone give me the approximate dimensions of a packer brisket and spare ribs.

A rack of ribs on about 18" long and 8" wide if untrimmed, 5" wide if trimmed to St. Louis style.

For the brisket, it depends on the size. I've seen 8 lb packers and were 15" x 8" and 20 lb. monsters that were probably 24" x 12"

For average I would say abound 20" x 10" for a 15 lber.

But these are all from memory. I've never really measured them. :-D

A rack of ribs on about 18" long and 8" wide if untrimmed, 5" wide if trimmed to St. Louis style.

For the brisket, it depends on the size. I've seen 8 lb packers and were 15" x 8" and 20 lb. monsters that were probably 24" x 12"

For average I would say abound 20" x 10" for a 15 lber.

But these are all from memory. I've never really measured them. :-D

Your right on!!!

I would base all measurements off of pan size. 22" deep min. More airflow the better. Id start at 20x22 and look hard at 27" wide x 22" deep. 2 pans side by side. Id rather have wide and short over tall and skinny

Take a tape measure to the grocery store. You only get a few looks, actually quite entertaining. I measured some to see about the fit for foil pans before.

Not really answering your question directly but I would size each rack to hold one or two full size hotel pans, depending on the size you want.

Not really answering your question directly but I would size each rack to hold one or two full size hotel pans, depending on the size you want.
right on with this advice. go pick up a couple full size pans and build around that. You have to use the stainless restuarant style pans and put throw away tins inside them.
Build your support out of 1/4 rod in stead of angle iron, this way the air will move around the side when full. Also of note, I picked up replacement grill racks from home depot and lowes that were the same width as a hotel pan, racks are easy and cheap to replace. so you slide he racks in when pans arent used or you can place pans on top of racks..good luck with your build

I would base all measurements off of pan size. 22" deep min. More airflow the better. Id start at 20x22 and look hard at 27" wide x 22" deep. 2 pans side by side. Id rather have wide and short over tall and skinny
another right on as the pans are the same size and this will allow you the ease of useing a real pan and not a flopping, hot piece of flesh..
what happens when you measure a 13 pound brisket and you want to try a 20 pounder?
Build to the pan and the rest will follow...

Back