Detailed Review of Ink Bird IBT-4XS Smart Wireless BBQ Thermometer. Pic heavy.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Disclaimer:

I am not affiliated with Ink Bird. Brethren Ken Ink contacted me recently after seeing a review of one of their products that I had won in a giveaway he sponsored. He asked my to do another with this new product. As a retired HVAC temperature control guy I told him that I would and it will be honest. He said that is what he wants.

I received this unit awhile back but what with the Wife getting a new hip and the high temps still over 100*F once she got back on her feet, today was the first day it was tolerable. Only 92*F.

Unboxed the unit which comes with 4 probes and 2 grill clips. The included pamphlet showed one of them being a shorter probe for grill temp. My box had 4 long meat probes which is fine for me. The temp ranges are the same.

This unit has rechargeable batteries via included USB to Mini USB. I charged it when it first arrived (approx. 3 weeks) ago. Today it was still at 100% throughout the entire cook.

pNGAxJO.jpg

Plugged in all four probes. All settled at room temp. Loaded the BBQ Go App and it linked with Blue Tooth seamlessly. All reading 77*F.

2ossJad.jpg

YUVZnjC.png

Went to the "Fancy" Kroger across town and bought a 1/2 lb. of Prime beef.

Un1Kvwi.jpg

Used Suckle Buster SPG for season.

cFV9IyK.jpg

Weber Gasser got the call. Great for steak. Only used 2 probes tonight. One for grill temp and one for Internal temp dead center of this 2 + inch cut of meat. Low flame on front for reverse sear.

FST6JNs.jpg

Temp about ten minutes in using app. Also unit display.

nN8PG0a.jpg

O5R7ZOB.jpg

Do love the magnetic base on this rig. Very strong.

I let the steak cook low until it hit 63*F IT then flipped it. Once temp 125*F, pulled it and let it rest.

Sq4eNOb.jpg

After 10 minutes put on the high heat for the final reverse sear.

DT1bvZZ.jpg

Had some carryover cooking I had forgot about doing reverse sear but wow!

KKaqAmf.jpg

Chart of the way the cook went. Handy feature.

IMlfYDV.jpg

Happy Wife, Happy Life! She loved it.

TMafiFq.jpg

Takeaways with this unit.
1. Temp probes are well made and most of all accurate.
2. The magnetic base works really well but do not put it on a hot surface.

s7kTvl6.jpg

3. BBQ Go app super easy to use. It has alarms, presets, graphing etc. My next cook with it will be an overnight brisket cook on my WSM.

Thanks to Ken Ink for letting me try this rig. Looking forward to using it again.

Thanks Mike,really great review! We do appreciate it,thanks for your precious time.Hope everything goes well with your wife,strong hug!

Nice review Mike. I use an older 6 probe model. Apart from the magnet which my unit doesn't have I agree with everything.

I've had the Inkbird 6 probe version since April and love it and the app. Very easy to set up and super accurate. Like you, I checked the ambient temp using the probes, but I also check the meat temps using a Thermopop and didn't find any temp differences. Definitely worth the money and I highly recommend Inkbird to friends and family.

Thanks Mike!
I have the IBT-4XP Model.
I liked mine enough to buy my Son-In-Law one for his BBQing. He uses his phone constantly, so I thought a good match for him.

I mostly use mine for my smoker, making bacon.

I also have the IRF-4S, which has its own display. I like it because it doesn't involve my phone. Just my preference. And it has more range.

Nice review......I might have to pick this up just for the magnetic base and rechargeability. I love my 6 probe unit, but never use 6 at one time. KenInk is a pleasure to do business with.........

Nice review......I might have to pick this up just for the magnetic base and rechargeability. I love my 6 probe unit, but never use 6 at one time. KenInk is a pleasure to do business with.........

Ed, I was really surprised on how fast it charged. Think it said 2 hour charge time. I'm checking how long one charge will last.

Looks great.

It works as advertised for sure. This one has improved Blue Tooth range for sure. Forgot to add that I got over 100 feet away (the bathroom) through one brick and 3 interior walls. The unit never lost connection.

I've had the Inkbird 6 probe version since April and love it and the app. Very easy to set up and super accurate. Like you, I checked the ambient temp using the probes, but I also check the meat temps using a Thermopop and didn't find any temp differences. Definitely worth the money and I highly recommend Inkbird to friends and family.

So true NC. I have the 6 and it is Great! Did a review on that one awhile back:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271147

Both great units!

Very Nice Mike
Nice looking steak too

Thanks George. All I need to remember is carryover cooking. The graph showed in OP. I pulled it at 145*F but it carried over to 153*F. Plan on giving it another try soon but this one was pretty darn good too. :thumb:

The thermometer works great, and has really helped out BBQ out. The app has a tendency to freeze up during long cooks, that can get a little aggravating. I looked online for info on it and saw quite a few people griping about it. They say they lose all their graph info when they finally get it unstuck. I haven't used the graph function so it doesn't really bother me all that much.

The thermometer works great, and has really helped out BBQ out. The app has a tendency to freeze up during long cooks, that can get a little aggravating. I looked online for info on it and saw quite a few people griping about it. They say they lose all their graph info when they finally get it unstuck. I haven't used the graph function so it doesn't really bother me all that much.

That sounds like it's temporarily loosing BT connection. Which model do you have?

Thanks for the great review and great looking steak, too!
In my typical fashion, I ordered one this morning and then came here looking for reviews. :-D

Received mine. Downloaded App easily. Went to store and bought a large brisket point. Seldom see the point by itself, not unheard of around here- just not often. Will cook in next few days.

Back