Super Awesome Eastern NC Style Sauce

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[ame]http://youtu.be/ZJ5idE0Nc8g[/ame]

This vinegar-based Eastern NC Style Sauce has the perfect amount of tang and 'punch' for pulled pork BBQ... How bad can it be? It's got BACON!

Looks great. Although I might substitute cayenne or chili powder for the chipotle.

Looks great JM. Thanks.

By the way, what does the little bit of white vinegar do that the larger amount of cider vinegar doesn't?

Good looking sauce but every time someone adds ketchup to a Vinegar sauce and calls it EASTERN carolina sauce, God kills a cute fluffy squirrel. Save the squirrels!!! Perfectly appropriate as a Lexington-style sauce though.

Cute cat btw

Good looking sauce but every time someone adds ketchup to a Vinegar sauce and calls it EASTERN carolina sauce, God kills a cute fluffy squirrel. Save the squirrels!!! Perfectly appropriate as a Lexington-style sauce though.

Cute cat btw

JM's sauce has so little ketchup that it seems to be mostly for color. I could swear that Parker's in Wilson has a little ketchup for color in their sauce too. I don't know where the dividing line actually is, but I have assumed that Wilson is in the eastern part?

If there is any ketchup in Parker's sauce its a tiny amount for color.

I've eaten at the Parker's locations in Wilson and Greenville hundreds of times.

Yes, both are Eastern NC. :)

Best BBQ in Eastern NC is from Pete Jones Skylight Inn over in Ayden, NC. There is no finer Q anywhere.

I don't think that Parker's sauce has any ketchup in it. It may have some Texas Pete or something similar.

I think that eastern NC sauce has changed some in recent years. I think it is not uncommon for some to add a little ketchup nowdays although years ago it was unheard of. I don't know of anyone that adds chipotle although it is probably good.

JM's sauce has so little ketchup that it seems to be mostly for color. I could swear that Parker's in Wilson has a little ketchup for color in their sauce too. I don't know where the dividing line actually is, but I have assumed that Wilson is in the eastern part?

Parker's has no ketchup in it. It's basically Texas Pete and sugar for the red sweet.

As for the vinegars I don't know why. It's just the way it has been done for a long time.

Last edited:
I think the only thing 'authentic' about eastern NC style sauce is the dominance of vinegar. I have eaten it all over this state and no two are identical so 'authentic' is definitely subjective no matter where you get it.

This is AUTHENTIC Man Cave Style Eastern North Carolina mish mash rip-off vinegar and other stuff sauce.

Back