Big Bob Gibsons or Smoking with Myron?

twinsfan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just finished Holy Smoke! History of NC Barbecue and I loved the history, then the recipes.

Now I'm looking for another recipe book. Which one of the two?

I have enjoyed the recipes in Big Bob Gibson. No help on the other one.

I have both. I love Chris' and Myron's was just okay. I think there are more useable info and recipes in the BBG BBQ Book IMHO.

If you're looking for the next one, definitely go with Big Bob Gibson. I use it all the time. I would put Myron's book on the list, too. It's okay, but not great. I would also get Peace, Love and Barbecue, Smokestack Lightning and Legends of Texas Barbecue. They're some of my favorites. Also, anything from Dr. BBQ.

Last edited:
I have both, and if you could only have one,I'd go with Big Bob Gibson. Myron's recipes are definitely not what he uses in comps and are pretty basic.

As someone suggested above^^^, i would look at Peace, Love , and BBQ and Smokestack Lightening. Great historical reads.

Paul

Why buy a book when you can get all the information you ever need here. I bet their Q isn't any better than people here.

Peace Love and BBQ is one of my favorites. Smoke and Spice by the Jamison's is also a very good book.

I have both and would give the edge to Chris Lilly if you have to decide between the two.

I have them both and while I enjoyed Myron's story about his upbringing, I enjoyed the Big Bob Gibson book better.

Ken

I have both and the Big Bob Gibson book is the better of the two. Some of the Mixon recipes are way over the top on salt usage.

I've only skimmed through Mixon's book, but Lilly's BBG BBQB is probably my favorite out of WAY too many bbq books.

I have both books. Very disappointed with the recipes in MM's, over the top on salt and pepper. I have not yet read BBG's but m looking forward to it...if I can get it away from my hubby....

If you like story's and recipes go with Peace Love and BBQ. I've re read a couple of times.

I have found that online walmart has the best prices for books. About $3 for shipping.

Peace, Love and Barbecue is better than either when it comes to recipes. But like many others have said, all three are great. All three are more Love Stories than Cookbooks.

Back