TAMALES-Green Chili Sauce, LOTS of PICS!!

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ok, I finally took the TAMALE plunge! I have never really ate them before, except for Costco's.:icon_blush:(desert island mod.)
I want to say thanks to Bobbrisket, who gave me a call, to calm me down and giving me directrions.
Also a mahalo, goes out to Cowgirl, seeing her blog got me inspired...
Here goes!
ENJOY!!!

Pulled Pork with Green Chili Sauce...(tomatillos) Simmered...
DSCF1921.jpg

Everybody into the pool! Maseca corn flour, Manteca (Lard), Corn oil, Salt, Garlic Powder, Chili powder, Baking powder and chicken broth.
DSCF1926.jpg

Mixed and ready to go...almost... I beat mine with a mixer to make it a little more lite, I believe this way was a more Northern Mexico thing to do...
DSCF1927.jpg

My Tamale Station
DSCF1928.jpg

First one! It takes a lot of practice, my fat hands had a difficult time doing them.
DSCF1929.jpg

Pulled Pork w/green chili filling
DSCF1936.jpg

DSCF1932.jpg

One down,
DSCF1933.jpg

DSCF1942.jpg

My lovely daughter, trying her hand at making Tamales...
DSCF1934.jpg

Time for the steam bath! I cooked mine for about 1.5 hrs...maybe some were a little overcooked...
Don't forget to put your coins into the pot! It tells you if there is water and if its simmering!
This is about when I panicked and tried to contact Bob, PMed some mods, Vinny helped out a bunch!
DSCF1944-1.jpg

Finished product, is it done?
DSCF1949.jpg

One bag of Corn Husks, I believe about 3-4 dozen...
DSCF1950.jpg

My Money Shot...
DSCF1952.jpg

AMAZING! I didn't know what I was missing! as Bob said, "NEVER again will you buy Costco Tamles!!! Yo know dat!
The hard work paid off, It was delicious! Really I don't TOOT my own horn, I want my cooking to do the talking, but these were GREAT!:clap2:
The Green Chili Sauce gave it a tart, and a little bit spicy taste!
What have I learned? Its not that hard really...just overwhelming, and time consuming!:shock: Wait, I forgot to tell you I cooked 2 slabs of Ribs, and all its trimmings while I was making Tamales!
DSCF1954-1.jpg

Tamales, and Rib treats, thats what was for dinner!
I hope you all enjoyed this pictorial, I'll be happy to give you all "beginners"
advice. First ones free! Don't boil your water before you put your Tamales in!! umm...you might burn yourself because your Tamale holder is a tight fit in the pot...Don't ask me how I know!:p:doh:

Thanks BOB!
Thanks Jeanie!

Those look awesome! I still haven't taken the tamale plunge, but those pics have inspired me. Very nice!

Those look awesome! I have been wanting to try making those at home. Good stuff.

Those look awesome! I still haven't taken the tamale plunge Very nice!

Look awesome, haven't taken the plunge, very nice, but I don't think I'll ever be inspired to make my own!:biggrin: I love them but not on a regular basis and when I want them I can get them from a one of my friend's employee. She makes a bunch up to sell every now and then.

Like I said Keale they look great and I'm sure they tasted great.

I should not have opened this thread - I have tamale envy. Nicely done.

Great job keale !!!

I am glad I was able to hook you up with Boob on such short notice while you were cooking them. Looks like a big success and the family enjoyed !!

:thumb:

Thanks all for the good words...I had fun making them...its been a while since I had that enthusiasim in cooking!

I think I'll be having Bobbriskets-Fried Tamales, w/ overeasy eggs!

Oh YES!!!! Those look oustanding, Brother!! :clap2: I'd hit about a half dozen at the first sitting. Then come back for seconds!! Once yo try the breakfast version, you will never want to eat them any other way. Glad to help. ANYTIME!!!
Good family activity too. Gets everyone involved.

Bob

Those look superb! Well done!

I'm not going to give them a shot today but I may try them tamale. :bow:

Those look soooo good!! I can almost taste it.. lol

Cheers

Way to go Keale!

Someday I need to get off my lazy @$$ and try that.

ps. I did make a big ol' pitcher of iced tea after I mowed the lawn today. Just sayin'.

Homemade tamales, from someone who knows what they're doing(you appear to qualify), is literally about as good as food gets.

Great going Roy, sometimes you go for broke eh? Home made tamales are soo good

Oh Shane!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to look at this post.... Just to let you know he is the owner of a 56 quart tamale steamer.... hehehehe Oh and they look so great! Gonna make some early Aug.

Back