Snuffing Briquettes in PBC

Raptork9

Found some matches.
Reaction score
After only a 40 minute cook (second so far) of a yummy tri-tip in my PBC I really didn't want to waste an almost full basket of briquettes. I pulled the rods, closed the vent as far as it would go, and applied foil tape (used for air conditioning ducts). Coals were out very quickly. Something to consider to make the PBC more economical.

I haven't used foil tape but I throw some flat refrigerator magnets (the kind from realtors and pizza places) over the open holes on my UDS and it chokes the fire off pretty quickly.

I haven't used foil tape but I throw some flat refrigerator magnets (the kind from realtors and pizza places) over the open holes on my UDS and it chokes the fire off pretty quickly.

Yup... magnets work perfectly. A 5x7 magnet will cover the intake vent without the need to mess with a screwdriver. I use business card magnets from Office Depot to cover the rod holes.

After I made ribs yesterday I decided that it would be a waste to let all the coals burn out. I put on two layers of Weber grilling gloves, pulled out the basket, placed it on top grate of my 22inch Weber OTG and closed the kettle. This morning I noticed that I had over half a basket of coals. It also allowed me to cover the PBC overnight as I was fearful it was going to rain. Do the flexible magnets melt? That is what I am afraid of.

After I made ribs yesterday I decided that it would be a waste to let all the coals burn out. I put on two layers of Weber grilling gloves, pulled out the basket, placed it on top grate of my 22inch Weber OTG and closed the kettle. This morning I noticed that I had over half a basket of coals. It also allowed me to cover the PBC overnight as I was fearful it was going to rain. Do the flexible magnets melt? That is what I am afraid of.

The flexible magnets might get slightly misshapen due to the heat, but the cook temp is pretty low on a PBC and without oxygen the barrel temp drops pretty quickly. I've not experienced melting of the flexible magnets. At all.

Perhaps I could get a better chance of getting them to melt if I put the magnets on the inside of the barrel instead of the outside. But I don't they'd melt even then!

Might want to rethink using coals or unburned briquettes that have rendered , rancid grease dripped on them. The reason I say rancid is after 24 hours with temp and humidity they'll turn south. Pork fat gets nasty quick. The taste will be affected.That's the main reason all of my units are equipped with a thick, steel smoker plate that the juices drip on, vaporize and release the tastes we all like. Much different reusing the unspent fuel without grease saturation. Steve.

Back