View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Smoker View Post
That sure looks good! 3/8 smoke ring! But is a fast cook really as good tasting as traditional low?
You know in the last 3 years, I've done around 30 of the hot-n-fast cooks, and overall I've been pleased with the results. I'm more comfortable doing lower temp cooks, but only because I've done them that way for so long. Although the main body of my hot cooks is done at a higher pit temp, I still start off low. My cooks are different from the folks that start off with a 300° pit temp.

In this experiment I did the hot-n-fast cook because the main focus was the fact that the nitrates in Tenderquick are a substitute for the nitrates we work so hard to get from the charcoal and wood we burn in our cookers. More time in the smoke ring formation temperature zone will have an effect on a smoke ring, so I intentionally wanted to shorten the time by using the higher pit temp. Which proves the effectiveness of the TQ.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote