Learning to stickburn - OK Joe High vs Long

bonz50

Take a breath!
Reaction score
While I'm saving my dollars for a nice stick burner I want to learn how to use a horizontal offset and manage fire for a while before I make the BIG jump to a larger trailer model.

Local Lowes has the Highland and Longhorn on sale for 10% off, $269 vs $386 respectively. The goal here is that eventually this will be passed off to my brother (he has a WSM like I do at the moment) but he's always wanted something a touch bigger but doesn't want a big trailer model. so basically I'd be "renting" this for a summer or two while I get proficient and selling off to him at a used discount. figure by the time everything is said and done I'll be out about $150 for this learning experience. if you were in my shoes, would you get the highland or the longhorn?? is the longhorn 'worth a little stretch'?? trying to keep this as reasonable as possible since its just a learning tool. each are within mgmt's budget for this.

FTR - only mods either will get is gaskets to seal it and a baffle/tuning plate to regulate temps across the surface. maybe a port drilled in for temp probes. don't want to spend much money on it given its purpose.

If it were me I would go with the Longhorn for the additional capacity.

that's what I keep leaning toward, just wanna check in here with the brain trust for opinions

I have the Highland and it is plenty big for my needs.....usually cook for 10 - 12 people. I had looked at the Longhorn but figured it was a bit too large for my needs.

If you go with the Highland you could use the money saved to pay for your mods. And like you mentioned, you still have the WSM on standby.

Longhorn. The hotspot on the highland is almost half the pit

I would go with the bigger one if you have the ability. You never know if you will want the room and you shouldn't have any difference in learning, once you have it set up good.

thanks!! longhorn order done. will be delivered to the store next week. gasket kit and RTV already ordered, haven't ordered the baffle kit yet. new smoker/first cook coming soon. I'm leaning toward trying my first brisket as a first cook

thanks!! longhorn order done. will be delivered to the store next week. gasket kit and RTV already ordered, haven't ordered the baffle kit yet. new smoker/first cook coming soon. I'm leaning toward trying my first brisket as a first cook
What's the worst that could happen? Brisket chili? :heh: congrats on the new cooker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest Longhorn but am a little late. Congratulations on a new pit. Even if the brisket doesn't come out perfect you will still have some great meat OR some fantastic leftovers for chili, nachos etc.

Longhorn = room for sides.

new smoker day!!

need to wait for oldest to get home from school so I can get it out of the truck. two tubes of RTV and door gaskets already on hand. hope to cook this weekend if basketball schedule and weather cooperates.

getting everything sealed up, still have to attach firebox, probably tomorrow sometime since I work from home on Thursdays. probably let it sit a day for the RTV to cure then fire up a big charcoal fire and let it cook off all the crap on the inside. wife is really excited!!!

well, oldest son finished homework so he helped me get the firebox attached. all the seams have been loaded up with RTV, doors sealed with lavalock tape. kinda wish it was a bit thicker steel, but it wasn't a $2000 smoker so I'm still pleased with the quality of it for the price. should be a nice temporary addition to the arsenal.

FTR - now that this is here and we got to fire up the blackstone the other day, wife says we need a legit fryer now and I'v ebeen loosely mentioning a santa maria grill for her as well. might have to get a custom rig with 'all of the above' on the trailer. fryers, a slot for the 36" blackstone, santa maria and a 60-ish inch cabinet style smoker. I'm sure Paul and Tyler could hook me up with the rig I need. :D

I have a Highland. To get even temps you'll have to make your own baffles. I just took the extra grates the Highland came with and double wrapped them in foil and placed them under the cooking grates to deflect the heat. I can get temps within 10 degrees from the middle to the stack side, but the fire side is still pretty hot. Still, plenty of room to smoke a big brisket or three big racks of ribs.

Back