Plow disk question

lionhrt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was just wondering if using a used plow disk is safe, do you have to do anything special to make it safe to cook on? or do you just take a sander and clean it up and get it real hot or should I just use a new plow disk?

You talking about a harrow disc? Should be safe since it is iron, but I would get new. You can get one for about 20 bucks. How would you use it?

I would think a used one might be safer, all the paint has been worn off in the dirt. If you are lucky you might find a used one that has just been taken off and it will be fairly shiny!

You might want to weld the hole shut, that will make it a lot safer to cook on. Less clean-up too. :becky:

As far as cleaning. A new one has a protective film on it. And a used one may be nice and shiny..... but chances are it will have a little rust.

I have made numerous "woks"(plow disc). The used ones are the best. Once u have cleaned the rust off and get down to shiny metal it's as safe as any thing you cook on. The next thing I do is go buy a can of lard and the cheapest bacon I can find and put the whole can of lard and the bacon in it. Maybe some old meet from the freezer and just get the fire pretty hot and cook all that up to where it's ALMOST burn and the pour it out into the dog pail with a loaf of old bread for the dog. Wile it out with a paper towel and you are ready to cook whatever you want on it.

I usually cook fajitas on mine! Beats a nonstick pan all day long!!!!

Oh yeah I weld a freeze plug in the center from the bottom to close up the hole!

No I don't have any pics. I can ever figure out how to load them to the forum!!

You might want to weld the hole shut, that will make it a lot safer to cook on. Less clean-up too. :becky:

As far as cleaning. A new one has a protective film on it. And a used one may be nice and shiny..... but chances are it will have a little rust.

I was thinking of leaving the hole open for easy draining and cleaning.:heh:

Thanks everyone I think I got what I need

Back