The Weber Smokey Mountain Appreciation Thread

Cool thread, I'm also drinking the WSM Kool-aid, her's a pic of my twins

Attachments

• super size me.jpg
    super size me.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 684
I have a barrel tucked under the house as a backup for my uds. You guys are temting me into buying a wsm. Also the wife can't complain about a 2nd garbage can on the deck while she is devouring a smoked pastrami sandwick...lol

Here's my WSM that Clark (Harbormaster) told me about, I used my chargriller for years but after getting this ..... I love it.

Attachments

• WSM.jpg
    WSM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
I have 2 18 inchers

One I bought for 160 about ten years ago, it was a floor model at a hardware store and was missing the door knob-weber sent me one for free.
I "accidentally" modded this one up. I bent the door one day and it was cooking pretty hot. Out of frustration I sealed the door up with 4 inch aluminum tape. Well after one cook that tape became welded to the cooker, couldn't get it off.
So I bought a guru and started using that exclusively with the wsm. With that door sealed I can get 18 hours at 225 on SIX pounds of charcoal. Problen is the thing burn funny now and will extinguish itself sometimes without the guru.
Good fortune. I am perusing craigslist one day and there is an 18" wsm!
A) Its one durn mile from my house;
B) Listed as new/unused in box-"Won at golf tournament. Don't need one, I have a nice gas grill"; and if I'm lyin I'm dyin,
C) Fifty dollars!!!
Taa Daaa. I now have my hopped up model as well as a stocker.

I have since bought an egg, which I love, but I couldn't imagine letting the Webers go. Its just one of those products-it works soo damn well it is just something you keep. I'm building a real covered patio this summer and I MIGHT lose the taped up one, but I will always have one.

"Won at golf tournament. Don't need one, I have a nice gas grill"; and if I'm lyin I'm dyin"

Wow ignorance is indeed bliss!

I've only smoked twice it's been on the WSM. I've already smoked 4 butts, a pork loin, and a brisket. My product is better than I've had at any so-called bbq joing.

I've only smoked twice it's been on the WSM. I've already smoked 4 butts, a pork loin, and a brisket. My product is better than I've had at any so-called bbq joing.

I totally agree. :thumb:

I love my 18.5 inch and it is very easy to control the temps.

Let's talk mods though.

I now use the base of a clay pot in place of water as a heat sink. Wrapped in foil the clean up is very easy and I don't have nasty water to discard nor do I have to worry about refilling the water on a loonng smoke.

I also added a second charcoal grate stacked on top of the first one at a right angle. Makes much smaller holes and blocks the openings on each side of the single one that used to allow chunks to fall down. I use lump coal sometimes and it seems to keep the random pieces up longer.

I replace the door with a stainless steel door from Cajun Bandit, much nicer door and it's a heavier gage so it holds heat better.

My is the old school model so I added a therm to the top.

The ultimate add-on was a BBQ Guru CyberQ II. With this baby I can literally set it up and walk away for as many as 12 to 14 hours and never look at the unit. Great for all night cooks.

I live in Kansas to it gets cold and this winter I want to buy one of the BBQ Silicon jackets for insulation. It also extends the burn time of your fuel so that you can easily smoke for 20 hours without a refill.

I bought mine at a local Ace that has a customer appreciation day once a year. 30% off any single item in the store. There are always a bunch of people in line when they open and most are buying a Weber Gasser.

Thanks for posting. I have a Guru too and I love it. Do have any pics of your pit?

Last edited:
**Dodging the Bullets!**

Here is my $30 "N"

100_2665.jpg

Dueling "DO's"

100_2214.jpg

100_1735.jpg

Ready for take off!

100_1421.jpg

Dedicated Center section Rotisserie mod to the 22" WSM

IMG_1637_1.jpg

Tri-Tips!!

IMG_1189_1.jpg

Turbo Briskets!

IMG_1181_1.jpg

Swamprb, I really think that you need to learn to use your equipment better...

....I volunteer to eat all of your practice cooks!! :twisted:

Is anybody rockin' some type of hinge on the lid? I'm working on one with some spherical rod ends I hope to mock one up in a couple of weeks.

I love my 22, its definitely my favorite cooker. I think Weber has done a fantastic job engineering these things, and very few mods are necessary. Other than playing with the water pan, and that depends on what you're cooking, the only mod I've had to do is make a smaller fire ring for shorter cooks. I decided on half the original volume, and a little bit taller to keep a very compact fire. What I came up with was a ring that is 6" tall with a diameter of 10.7", this is exactly half the original volume. I made it out of expanded metal, so if you cut a piece 33.61" long x 6" wide, when rolled it will give you the 6x10.7" dia ring.

P1000960.jpg

P1000962.jpg

Here's my original post;
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102347

Last edited:
Back