Standing Rib Roast - 4 bone, 10 1/2 lb, loin end (a.k.a. small end or first cut) WOW!

Looks great. I like the idea of a hot finish to get some browning. I've done low-and-slow for a rib roast before and didn't get the browning I like from the oven.

Love the red Baby.

Mine came out looking similar, and tasted amazing. I ground up montreal steak seasoning in a coffee grinder and making a paste with OO. Any special trick to taking the bones out, we struggled with that a little yesterday.

Another method is to separate the meat from the bones prior to cooking, and then use butcher twine to re-attach. You get the benefits of the bones with reduced stress when it is carving time. You can also season under the bones as well.

Nice job on the roast! Inspiring actually. I've been thinking about doing prime rib, and this post is providing excellent documentation of methods, but also motivation for the final product. Looks outstanding!

Gracias!
Bruce

It starts with a very sharp knife and a steady hand, and it also helps to have an insulated glove on your non cutting hand. I stand the roast on the end of the bones (bones vertical) and slice down, almost but not all the way through. Then I roll the roast over on its side and finish the cut. Then I cut off the pointed piece of fat before slicing. I'm sure there are other ways, but that's the way I do it.

Not only does your roast look perfectly cooked, the carving was superb!

picture.php

Good lawd, Bob. That looks absolutely stunning.

I am now salivating like Pavlov's dog! Man, that looks great!

That is as nice of a cook as I've seen, your timing and doneness are spot on for my tastes..... So, what happened to those bones? I used to cook them a little longer and reserve in foil for folks that were heavy eaters and planned on seconds, then I'd serve them 1/3 slice and a bone.

Now that I've gotten wiser, I stash them for myself unless someone mentiones they want one.

That is as nice of a cook as I've seen, your timing and doneness are spot on for my tastes..... So, what happened to those bones? I used to cook them a little longer and reserve in foil for folks that were heavy eaters and planned on seconds, then I'd serve them 1/3 slice and a bone.

Now that I've gotten wiser, I stash them for myself unless someone mentiones they want one.

I still have my bones from Christmas. Was wondering the same thing.

I still have my bones from Christmas. Was wondering the same thing.

I've also gotten older and wiser...I wrapped them individually in foil and saved them for myself. The perfect snack! :thumb:

Back