Hanging Ribs and Chicken (Lots of PRON)

smokemaster1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Decided to try hanging some meat like in a PBC. I've got a 30 gal drum that I made into a UDS last year. I drilled 4 holes and inserted 2 stainless steel rods. Hung 4 racks of BB's and 1 split chicken on meat hooks. Really impressed with the cook. I lit it like a PBC, waited 20 minutes, loaded the meat and closed the lid.
3 hrs for the chicken and 4 for the BB's. Definitely doing it again. Everyone was satisfied!!

That all looks great, and has further inspired me to do this when I get my vertical bandera up and running. Do you flip anything end to end during the cook?
Dave

:thumb: You loose my number again:mmph:

Your line was busy.:wink:

That all looks great, and has further inspired me to do this when I get my vertical bandera up and running. Do you flip anything end to end during the cook?
Dave

No flipping necessary. Nice and evenly cooked. I was surprised.

That all looked great! What are the advantages to hanging? Is it simply to hold more meat in the cooker? I have never tried that method.

I've done that with ribs on my 18 WSM and was happy with the results. I think that the grease and liquids dripping off the meat on to the fire and vaporizing add another dimension of flavor.

DSC_6836-PP.JPG

Looks delicious.
I like to hang ribs in my Bandera.
Haven't done chicken halves in it yet. I'll have to give that a try.

+1 to hanging the meat. That's how we do it around here too. Yes, you can hang a lot of meat that way. Like HankB says, the drippings add a unique flavor to the cook. These drums are sure versatile. I use 3/8" re-bar to make my rods for hanging

Beautiful Grub...Your New PBC looks nothing like your Old UDS anymore...Nice makeover! :shock:

Last edited:
Back