Pit Barrel Cooker

I got my PBC with the discount right before Christmas but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Thinking the tri-tip I bought is going on the hook tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear what ya think of the finished product :)

Just read this whole thread. I then Googled "pit barrel cooker". I'm guessing that alot of the "PatioDaddio is connected with PBC" confusion results from all of his reviews popping up there. People perhaps are not reading the details?
His photo is also there.

Last edited:
Hey moderators, how about also removing copywrited photos that were used without permission or attribution?

John

Perfect example of the depth of destain John and I have for each other. John even goes so far as to throw in the "hey you posted my picture without asking me or acknowledging me" even though I do so to show his mastery and defend his honor.

Like another poster recognized, John must not know the definition of atribution because I did. And I don't use his permission because I am Pitmaster T. LOL. Maybe he means that its from his blog. So - I got it from his blog... which is a great place to steal ideas and claim them as your own.

So to the original poster who questioned Johns integrity... now you have proof of someone defending his honesty that can't stand his ass... and as you can see the feeling is mutual.

Almost looks staged. Like a Play. In which one of us, is merely a "character."

I will reiterate a little story in defense of the PBS - mostly because I was thinking about it and also because I was just told the owner is so offended by me he doesn't want me to talk about his product and be associated with it. Grow up man. Now let me aggravate you more by defending your product some more and giving people more reason to buy the PBS.

I noticed at times people regarding the UDS add up all their costs BUT do not add in the hole saws, welders, searches for stuff that will accomodate this and that and that is cool for people with the time to do this. BUT the PBS, which I do not own, I wish I HAD bought for a few reasons. The main reason is mine, which after 5 years of owning the drum and designing the fire ring is putting along finally, well.... it was too damn much trouble. Not because of my ingenutity but because of time. All those trips here and there and all.... well, 225 to buy something that works out of the box.... well all I would need is for someone I trust (regardless how I feel about them) to tell me it made good que. So we have it. The PBS is no BS because it costs less in cash and hassle than the UDS.

So now there are two opinions... one from a guy that has had a lot of experience, with his ingregity backed by a guy that can't stand him, and another from a guy in which the owner of the company has expressedly in writing told people he does not want me affiliated with his product no matter whether I like it or not.

So I think that would mean... its a pretty solid product. Besides, its smaller. Everyone likes it smaller and tighter.

I feel the need to say - because it takes less space in the garage.

Just read this whole thread. I then Googled "pit barrel cooker". I'm guessing that alot of the "PatioDaddio is connected with PBC" confusion results from all of his reviews popping up there. People perhaps are not reading the details?
His photo is also there.

This came up once sorta with a distributor that was selling a air induction device in the forum. I guess in reagrds to John Dawson and his blog you may be insiniuating what he admits to in his first line on his blog regarding the product.

"Daddio has a new toy! The great folks at the Pit Barrel Cooker Company sent me one of their cookers to test drive."

Seen on his blog attributed here.
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2012/03/first-look-pit-barrel-cooker.html

BUT HE ALSO EXPLAINS HE RECEIVED IT FREE OF CHARGE BUT THE OPINIONS WERE HIS OWN!!!! a little further down the review. He didn't need to do that but thats the way he rolls.

Look, I received a freaking pallet of Kingsford edge once simply because my Stoker Video had 65K hits on my old Popdaddy channel. I also received a formitable amount of AR charcoal with a request I make a vid about it. I hated the AR.

Which brings to the point JUST because they sent him a PBC and he liked it (he did well with it) its his choice to tell people and I am sorry but I would rather listen to a person with proven talent than a salesman.

So, like I said before, how he may have gotten the product, free or he bought it, should matter little considering the person he is known to be. Honest and talented.... even in my opinion. Its a new product and someone has to endorse it. I know the buyer (we went to High School and College together) for H.E.B. and the pits they have there on display are all cheap horizontal drums smokers and they suck. If magically the PBC would show up at the hundreds of stores they have because of someone's "connection" does not neccessarily mean the product is not good.

I understand you offerd an observance and do not mean to suggest you are critical - but I am saying that others may think that's what you are saying. For a while when you googles stoker my name and videos came up and I in NO way endorsed the product but I sure liked it. It's kinda the nature of what we do. I have a feeling if it sucked, John probably would let people know or remain silent... showing tact... which I hate.

Last edited:
you two guys act like children. if you like the pbc fine. if you don't fine. i thought this was a bbq forum and not were two grown adults act like babies. :blah: and when i post about my pbc i would like it if you don't highjack my post w/ your dribble.

you two guys act like children. if you like the pbc fine. if you don't fine. i thought this was a bbq forum and not were two grown adults act like babies. :blah: and when i post about my pbc i would like it if you don't highjack my post w/ your dribble.

I apologize for any childishness that I may have contributed to this thread.

John

After wavering back and forth, I finally ordered the PBC today. The code was still good. I just refurbished a NB Bandera this fall, and I am sure the wife is going to love this :pray:. Now I just need to use that $30 gift card from Amazon I got for Christmas to buy my Tamale pot for the Mini WSM and she will think I am completely nuts. :shock:

After wavering back and forth, I finally ordered the PBC today. The code was still good. I just refurbished a NB Bandera this fall, and I am sure the wife is going to love this :pray:. Now I just need to use that $30 gift card from Amazon I got for Christmas to buy my Tamale pot for the Mini WSM and she will think I am completely nuts. :shock:

I gave up (sold) a cooker to pay for the PBC... my wife doesn't seem to mind when I do it that way ;) My PBC actually replaced 2 cookers, and I came out quite ahead $$ wise... and I have not had one regret :)

Man...I JUST gotta have one. I just wish I could find someone to buy my small WSM so I could do this. My wife would absolutely love food off of this.

Man...I JUST gotta have one. I just wish I could find someone to buy my small WSM so I could do this. My wife would absolutely love food off of this.

Small WSM as in the 18.5" unit? If so, in good shape? If yes, you should be able to get an easy $160-175 on CL... putting a new PBC at no more than $65 out of pocket. Just make sure you can still grab the coupon code from grilling.com I sold 2 WSM's. I really like the WSM's... but this PBC is way better than I expected.

Looks like a fun pit, hanging meat and all.

Lots of interesting info here as well, like something cooked at about the same position as the meat on my drums over the exact same fire can taste totally different.

I've never used my drum for low and slow so if anyone has one of these PBC's here in the Greater Houston Area hit me up, I'd like to do a side by side taste test, same temp, etc.

Sparky, don't you dare say John was acting like a "child." Who the heck do you think you are? None of the other posters were acting like "children." The other 3 or so forums you post about your PBC stuff on and how it doesn't make your BBQ taste "icky," may have a few members but this one has almost 40K. Not to mention, defending a person like John's desire to let people know their experiences about the PBC is hardly "hi-jacking" and those that know me, know I can highjack a thread so bad no one knows what the heck is going on and have to scroll to see if they are in the wrong thread.

Sorry, but you don't control our opinions, dislikes, likes or how we express them. Frankly, the forum rules dictate that and the only one breaking them was myself dude. Of course you could have been talking about the guys critiqing John but they were within the forum rules as well.

I will comment if I wish...within the forum rules. Or is it time for any mention of this product to be thrown into the vendor forum like the China pellet thing was.

This thread is full of peoples input and opinions which is what drives a good Forum. It gets a tad bit sticky when folks start to belittle and or berate a product because they see no value in it. Much the same way the Rib O Later thread went. So, while we're on that subject. The ROL is the Ferris wheel to the UDS so we need a Merry Go Round for the PBC :biggrin1: Any new tool that can be used to make great BBQ has value in my book. It's all about cooking, eating and drinking beer.

grinds-my-gears11.jpg

Here is where you went wrong with Patio. I see this in here from time to time. Been accused of it myself.

Pitmaster T's EDICT on Endorsements

Patio Daddio is anything but dishonest. So I can say this. He has made it known he really does not like what I stand for and will say it. But he is a pretty honest guy. And he has done his share of cooking on the UDS so I would probably think his opinion about this PBS thing (which boggles my mind how someone would have the balls to actually try and patent a hook for smoking chicken in a barrel using rebar but hey, maybe I should patent using racks for cooking meat on). As usual, I digress. So take it from me, who really does not care for Patio so much because he is too nice, but also because he messed up my salad bar a few times. Patio is as honest as the wait on a frozen turkey to defrost.

patio+daddio.jpg

Patio's Contribution to the UDS Phenomina before Noah/B]

A moment of discussion about "preceived endorsement." This forum was built on people in the competition world endorseing processes, ingredients, glazes, additives, blowers, thermometers, foils, butcher papers (with or without wax coatings) rubs, dusts, charcoal (Patio did a wonderful experiement comparing charcoal a few years ago), mops, pits, drums, designs, graphics, banners, meat providers, air induction devices, remote thermometers, muffin tins, tv programs, social programs, moinks, frozen products, guns, targets, suggested human targets, brewing paraphanalia, welders.... get the point?

Patio has been a competitor for a long while. And he has advised people here a lot. Nearly all of it I begrudginly aggree with. I would imagine if I were going to buy a product I would loop in what a guy that has had extensive experience in cooking **** on a UDS AND whatever else he chooses. Here is why I hate competitors. Because they have the audacity to show up at a pagent, with an existing stable of expertise, then throw it out the window as Patio did and adopt something else. That takes balls. In addition he beat Trigg. Now I like Trigg and frankly have seen him ON PITMASTERS go to a pagent and get 46th or so. Several times. But Patio beat him using the PBS. So that essentially means it surely does not do any damage to the BBQ. But here is where you went off track... and I see that you aologized and thats cool. If you are looking for an honest review then just either tuck what Patio says in your head (or not) and go on to find other info to make your purchasing decision. But questioning Patio and suggesting he has vested interest in the company... well hold it a minute. So the fark what if he did. We all have a "vested" interest in what we do. But just about every one of us that is worth a **** gets tied to someone who also is worth a **** and meld our **** to theirs and there **** get's melded into ours. Its like the way George Clinton did things. He was a dawg, right? He pees on something, then some other dawg pees on it and then another pees on it again. Its what we all do to make thangs funky. Pee on ****.

page=5o5n2r80wf:type=thumbnail:version=2

Patio showing he has balls enough to buy **** and tell people about it - Obviously unaware you cannot load the drum this way as all hook openings should be pointed North.

Suggesting Patio is dishonest just because of his affliation with Noah and the PBS is BS.

This forum is all about our endorsements. None of us can keep our mouths shut. I like how Chris Matthews once put it about himself when someone questioned why his opinion mattered. He said "I am not sure you are aware of this Eric but I get paid because people tune in to see what I think." Well people like you are here in our forum to see what us BBQ freaks think. Even if they are white bread, "aww shucks," Pat Boone white shoe wearing, sqeaky clean, Dudley will Do no wrong tonight if Nell will just let him kick it, "he's a nice guy" freaks like Patio Daddio.

I have been an ass for more than 48 years. Why would I not endorse one?

ADMIN EDIT:

This post has been scrubbed of vulgarities and BS. This is Qtalk. Review and Abide by our rules. (followup posts regarding the BS has been removed as they no longer pertain).

Opinions, positive or negative, are allowed. As long as it is all within the forum rules, it's fine. Just a reminder that Phil has already scrubbed posts and the thread itself. If it turns into vulgarities and BS again like Phil stated above, then it's a different story. You guys decide if you want to keep it civil and within the rules or push the envelope a little more. That's your choice. Just letting you know that Admin has already been in this thread in case any of you did not read the thread from its entirety. This is the 3rd time Admin/Mods have had to step in.

Last edited:
Just ordered a PBC, used the coupon code, still good so far. I had seen Johns blog on this and wanted one then but felt it was too much money then. I met Noah at the Royal this year and watched this little cooker in action. Was Judging both days so went by Sat AM right after he got there, and then Sun Am prior to judging on that day. Everything looked good, don't know how it tasted though, didn't get a sample. Very nice people, he even gave me two of his rubs for free. So am pretty excited about getting this, thought I would be out of luck for the coupon but it is still there.

Thanks for actually trying this, I'm going to do this to my wsm with an expansion ring, where did you find the stainless steel rods?
I work for a metal recycling company and we got some in as scrap. With some searching you should be able to find some stainless rod. While not cheap, I like it better than rebar or other steel rods.

Back