• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

mold?

DaSmokin'Chili

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
download
download

So I Went out to the shed and was horrified to find what looks like to be mold on WSM..I have heard that this is possible, Im usally pretty good about completely cleaning and wiping out my smokers after every use.
Several weeks ago I noticed what I thought was mold in my kettle, so cleaned it with comet, then did a long burn in it. I also scrubbed the rack
along with a few other of my 22" racks.:doh:
I must of missed some. Now it looks like mold transferred form the rack to WSM.WTF..Looks like I'l be cleaning and doing burn outs in my WSM's and kettle.:doh:
Any suggestions and techniques about how should go about this again? Any chemicals to use?

This has happened to me one time with my WSM. It was my fault as I forgot to empty the water pan after a cook during our hot Summers. Left it for a week. When I discovered it, I cleaned the grills and water pan and put it through the hottest burn (empty of grills and wp) that I could. I thought problem solved. It was not to be. The next time I went to use it, I found the mold was back. My solution was to take a steel bristled brush and scrape it out. I did not use any water or cleaning chemicals. I replaced the grills and wp and have not had a problem since. In my case, I learned to never let it go more than a day without removing the wp and grills for cleaning.

Me personally I have no desire to breath any type mold. Therefore:

1. Soak all removable parts in a one to one vinegar solution
2. After a 24 hour soak place in top rack of oven
3. Turn on ovens self cleaning cycle

4. Spray top to bottom inside out with Eco friendly Off Oven clnr
5. Let soak in sit and repeat
Take to car wash and use power sprayer to clean

Reassemble and start a WFO hot fire and keep it going. You're actually doing a burn out. Do it twice. Any evidence of mold-repeat.

Re season and cook

When storing, leave a vent open so moisture does not gather.

That's my method. I did chunk an el cheapo portable one time.

After the stories on bristles coming loose I only use paint scrapers and putty knives. No brushes

50/50 Bleach n water

Not to highjack but SJ, That is also a great thing to do on the exterior of the painted wood on your house. It makes old paint look like new. Folks do all the powerwashing etc but a 50/50 of bleach and water in a pump sprayer with a hose to rinse evey 20 feet can make an old house look new.

Just use a brush burner and burn it off, then light a fire in it and spray with pam or the like, then heat up and rinse off - you should be good to go. Though your paint may not be so happy.

Looks like I will be doing this in the rain or snow tomorrow...
I didn't think mold would grow in the cold:shock: and not transfer from a rack (which I cleaned w/comet and burned) to one of my WSMs. I also have been keeping the covers off and vents open. Its obviously I wasn't thorough enough the first time.

Wiping it out after each use??? Thinking that is your problem to begin with.

I always do a clean-out: clean the water pan, brush the grates, and wipe out the bottom charcoal pan after every use...If theres creosote build up I brush or wipe that off too. I have always done this on my COS and it has a really nice cure!

Last edited:
Looks like I will be doing this in the rain or snow tomorrow...
I didn't think mold would grow in the cold:shock: and not transfer from a rack (which I cleaned w/comet and burned) to one of my WSMs. I also have been keeping the covers off and vents open. Its obviously I wasn't thorough enough the first time.

Under normal storage with cover on my WSM, I've read and do keep one bottom vent open and the top vent stays open.

I too was wondering about mold growing in a cold climate. Are you sure it's mold?

Under normal storage with cover on my WSM, I've read and do keep one bottom vent open and the top vent stays open.

I too was wondering about mold growing in a cold climate. Are you sure it's mold?

Im not 100% sure, It does look kind of like the build-up thats on the back of my fish tank, from the hard water. I been debating this with a friend for couple hours, he thinks its not. Sure looks like it to me..
Doing some reseach now, and so far I have read there a few molds the will grow or survive under 39 degrees. Up here its been pretty much 35 and under since the start of Dec., except one freak day before Xmas.

Back