Injecting Brisket

rparmig

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have seen some of the past post, but wanted to see what the latest opinion is on injecting brisket, would love to have mine as moist as Rudy's. And if you all inject what are you injecting with.
I am smoking on a Trager smoker.

Thank you for your comments!

Smokesignalsfromtx do you do it for taste as well. My latest taste pretty good as I am finishing it with Modello beer, still not as moist as I would like. Flavorfull though...:-D

I know for a fact Rudy's don't inject they just cook it right and that is the secret to a moist Brisket.
Injecting a water based fluid into a piece of flesh that is already almost at 100% hydration is a waste of time. As the brisket or any protein cooks it tightens up and wrings out all the water in it like a sponge( the reason cooked meat weighs less than raw ) This is a good thing it has to happen before the collagen( the material between the muscle fibres) can melt. When it melts it converts to gelatin. It is the Gelatin that makes it moist. so Proper cooking to Probe tender and a long rest (Min 2 hrs) with a gradual cool down( IT of 150) is key to a tender & moist end product.

K then the next question is what is your proper temp as I see 180 -190 as a standard but by every definition, that is welllllll. This is not a does Rudy's inject or not, I just love how flavorful and moist it is.

Don't go by temp - get to a temp range 190-210* and pull it when it probes tender and let it sit for 1-2 hrs

Buy well marbled Flexable whole packers

Sorry, I am just having a hard time with using Rudy's as the example of brisket done right. To the point though... Buy a good piece of meat (well marbled packer with a nice consistent flat thickness) and cook it right. I often inject with beef bullion but as mentioned that is just for flavor.

Thank you all for your replies. I will study the link that you furnished.

Back