Tasty butts

hogwild284

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When I smoked my first butt awhile back I used an injection recipe I found on here and was happy with the taste of the meat. Last friday I smoked 3 butts with just a rub. The bark was nice and tasty, it had a good smoke, the meat was juicy but, the meat seemed bland. I know, no pron didn't happen!
So today I'm doing 3 more butt and this time I went with an injection again. I will post pron later, promise.
When I pulled the meat I didn't add anything to it. Should I season when pulled? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :-D

Last edited:
Did you mix equal parts dark meat white meat? Mix in the bark for flavor.

I pull from fridge, rub then smoke. Prep time 15 minutes. Cook time 12 hours.
Meat pulls and is flavorful throughout.

If eaten directly off smoker with short rest, meat needs nothing, except maybe a butter and toasted bun. If rest is an hour or more, then all meat is pulled i have to add slaw and sauce.

I use about a half cup of rub per butt, and rub it good. Pull the flap over the money muscle back and get rub all in there as well.

I don't inject but I do like to mix in a little sweet rub to the finished product.

I like it every way! I normally inject some cider and do a rub. Mop with my sauce a few times during the cook, and let rest in foil for a while...then pull and eat. I leave sauce out for my guests to apply or not.

hey jet, i really don't get this money muscle thing. i guess i'm still new to this stuff so help me out
thx ron :p

hey jet, i really don't get this money muscle thing. i guess i'm still new to this stuff so help me out
thx ron :p

4184496749_5d2f4f52b4.jpg

I appreciate all your great info. I did use more rub this time than before. And got under the "money muscle". Thanks jet. I did mix well last week but just didn't get good flavor out of the white meat. It did take a little longer last week with high winds and wind chills in the teens, about 13.5 hrs. I post more tonight when done. Thanks again

Back