• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Tutorial?

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well, after my successful pork butt last weekend, I'm anxious to try ribs. Might there be a general tutorial somewhere that can be followed?

Well, after my successful pork butt last weekend, I'm anxious to try ribs. Might there be a general tutorial somewhere that can be followed?

Simple, high heat BBR's done in two hours and yield a smoke ring like this:

r26.JPG

Good afternoon sir! How've you been? How was the butt?

You'll see all types of info here on this. You'll see arguments for and against most everything. For the first go-round, so that you minimize your opportunity to kill them, I do suggest that you foil. A little flame up, a little to much of this or too little of that and you've made tough ribs.

The way we do it (mind you, this is on our smoker, your results may be very different) is:

First, we remove the membrane from the baby backs (we dont spare).

Second, I marinade them over night, in guess what?: 1 part apple juice, 3 parts water, and a fractional part of worchestershire sauce

The next morning about the time I'm light the fire I take them out of the marinade and apply our rub.

The smoker usually comes up to temps in about an hour after we applied the rub. I put them on the smoker, at 250 degrees (a little higher wont hurt a thing). I spritz using apple juice and worchestershire once, at the 1 hour mark. I use hickory for smoke, and IMHO it can consume a rib after a while. As a result (to prevent too much smoke), we foil at the 1.5 hour mark and spritz heavily before sealing up the foil. They stay in foil for another 2.25 hours, for a total time of 3.75 hours. I take them off and allow them to rest, but no more than 2 hours, usually more like 1 hour. I apply the finishing sauce when it's extremely hot, and then only a very thin coat, just before serving.

I would keep it simple for the first time. You didn't mention what type of ribs, but I'm assuming pork, not beef. If you like back ribs, try to find some that are in the 2.25 - 2.5 lb range per slab. If you can look at them look out for shiners (bones that are exposed on the meat side) and avoid those.

I season mine a couple of hours before cooking and put them in the fridge or a cooler to keep cold. Get your cooker going at about 250 degrees and let it stabilize. When it is ready put the ribs on meat side up and try not to look :). Baby racks in that size range at 250 will take about 4 1/2 hours, but each rib is slightly different. You can check for done using the bend method where you pick up the rack and see how much it bends (it should bend close to breaking and you will see small cracks in the bark when done) or you can use a toothpick in between the bones. The toothpick should slide in with little resistance.

For spares, start with full racks that are around 4.5 lbs and do a St. Louis trim and you should end up with racks that are about the same weight as the baby backs. The cook times will be similar but probably slightly longer since spares tend to be meatier. You can also cook the rib tips (the part that you trimmed off) for snacks or use the meat in beans, etc.

Pretty good article on your web site.

Funny, I did not see the Brethren listed among your "great sites" :-D

When I get some time, I will do the search here and post links.

TIM

That is a huge oversight on my part. Be right back...

Done.

Added with the description, "The best all around BBQ discussion forum on the web."

Last edited:
Great info. Just what I was looking for. What sort of "Finishing Sauces" are out there? Like a Carolina Vinegar sauce? That was pretty awesome on the butt.

Nice link, boogie. I will pour through that!

Do you want fall off the bone or not? If not, I wouldn't recommend foiling. Real easy to go to the foil and have pulled pork after you pull from the grill...

I just use one of my favorite BBQ sauces to glaze the ribs. If it is a thick sauce I thin it with a little apple juice.

Thanks Ron, Basically any sauce that we like. I asssume that because it's pork, the same things that are good for a butt are good for pork ribs. Like apple, etc.

I should say I don't like aluminum. If I can avoid it, I do.

Is a Finishing Sauce like a Carolina Vinegar Sauce?

You can sauce a couple different ways. You can smoke for a while, then apply a couple bastings of sauce the last 30-45 minutes. It can a vinegar based Carolina style or a tomato based KC/St. Louis style. Whatever you like, go with it.

The other option is to have a dipping suace on the side. Make up your sauce and put it in bowls for people to dunk or drizzle on their ribs as they please.

Me, I only sauce when I'm asked to by certain family or friends. Most people I cook for only need whatever rub I use.

Great thread there. I'll pour through that one. Interesting about the possibility that sugar may seal against more smoke penetrating the meat.

well, if you're not going to foil, i'd suggest upping the temp of your cook close to the 300's. 275-325ish.

i like 'em both ways.

oh, and also, personally, i only cook st. louis spares. i really don't care for BB's.

but that's just personal preference.

Back