• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jonny Rotisserie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been promising folks for years to post a video about how I cook rotisserie chicken (and other birds) without going through the hassle of trussing it (tying it with butcher's twine), saving time and effort.

So...drum roll...here it is! http://youtu.be/9n3tW4qRNsI

I've thrown in a number of other tips for preparing a rotisserie chicken in the outdoors, but the section specifically on how to avoid trussing is around the 3:57 mark.

On my screen, it starts clear and then becomes fuzzy when I watch it. Is that my computer or the way I uploaded the video? :noidea:It should be clear throughout. I'm not much of a video guy.

Anyhoo, hope you enjoy it and you find this useful.

--Jonny Rotisserie

BTW checked out my book yet? www.vacationboystories.com. Don't miss chapter 38 "My Butt's on Fire!" for BBQ mayhem.

Yes to the book. It was a great read! Now, let me watch the vid...

OK. Cool. :thumb: Still though, I'll keep on trussin'. Never know, I might go to Japan some day, and I figure I'll need those knot tying skills...

I have an Auspit, it stays in the fifth wheel for camping. Enjoyed the video and like the trick with the legs, and I go to Quartzite each January, on the way to Mexico.

Great video, that bird looked out of sight. :thumb: Just one problem though...

Where's the money shot! :p

I almost took a bite out of screen when the bubbling skin came on. Great video!

Nice video and tutorial, man you need to get a cover for your mic.

That is a great suggestion. I just went online to look for one, but it turns out there is no option for an external microphone with my camera. I'd have to cover the camera to block the wind. I will add that to my list of criteria next time I am camera shopping because the wind wasn't even that bad when I was shooting. On the bright side, at least you can hear the wind in stereo.:laugh:

--J.R.

That's enough out of YOU mother clucker!!

I mean, I'll have to give the lemon or lime a try, I usually use an apple or an onion...

It's good to see me post again Jonny! Thanks! :wacko:

NICE! Dig it!

I didn't see blurry, but yeah, the wind noise didn't help you any.
I've also used a lemon while doing chickens, but never thought to try a lime.
I do a lot of chickens at home on the UDS and the BGE, but my brother has a rotisserie on a kettle and I gotta tell ya, those rotisserie birds are a cut above!

Great video Johnny, the chicken looked fantastical. I think i will have some chicken strips for lunch.

Love the video & I love rotisserie chix! I've been eyeing these rotis rigs for a while now - definitely very high on my list of things to get - I hope to have one like in this video and one that can handle whole hogs one day.

That bubbling skin deal - that's just beautiful right there!

People truss rotisserie chickens? I thought the method described in the video was standard.

I go to Quartzite each January, on the way to Mexico.

If you pass through Quartzsite January 18-26 give me a heads up and come on down to the Big Tent. I have a booth there for the RV show every year and I do demo cooking every day, the rewards of which are often shared with my fellow vendors and friends when the show shuts down for the day around 5pm. Being both a Brethren and and Auspiteer, you can even put in a request for what you'd like to feast on.

Don't plan on leaving hungry or sober! :thumb:

--Jonny Rotisserie

Dang I really need to get or build a rotisserie set up.

Thanks for the cook thread and great info

Back