KCBS Involvement

My biggest takeaway is the BoD is ignoring the pressing issues and focusing on minutia like Judge of the year (Team of the Year is still unresolved) Judge achievement awards (Master Table Captain) and ignoring the fact that membership is down to 17,000 and continues to drop.

To me:

Rules are a big issue: why is the focus on rules the size of the paper the rules are printed on? Where are the rep advisories? Why isn't there a single place on the website where a new team can read all the rules and rep advisories (defacto rules)?

Judging (and rep) consistency and accountability issues (I know I know) but it's STILL an issue.

There are more but I'm almost at what's the point.

I don't really disagree much with any of that, but see it slightly differently.

The issues you mention, that are related to the Tech Committee are being worked on. The Rep Advisories were available the last time I looked, but your point about all of the relevant material being readily available in one location makes sense. Just being a worker bee, it's not my place to say much more than that.

I can't speak for the current board, but I know what my experience was like. Instead of being able to focus on the macro view, I seemed to be putting out fires on a regular basis. I learned that KCBS had some fairly significant issues last October. Some of the things I heard were overblown, others probably understated. In fairness I think this has been one of the most productive boards I can remember. I don't agree with everything they've done, but for the most part I think they are taking the necessary steps to make change in the future come faster.

Have you shared your concerns and suggestions directly with the board? Not a shot at you! I read and heard a lot about what the board had done after the fact, but never prior to a meeting after the agenda was posted. Whenever I've emailed the board about an issue they've been responsive. If they aren't doing something you think they need to be, email the board, urge your like minded friends to email the board. Make sure they aren't operating in a vacuum. (I just doused any bridges I may have had in kerosene:mad2:)

Last edited:
Rules and Rep advisories are both in the members section under resources, file archive.
Ed

Correct, but if there is a backyard team out there that is thinking about making the jump to KCBS they cannot read the rules on the website without having a paid membership. IMHO the rules should be made available to everyone whether you have a paid membership or not.

I like the idea of a Pro-Am series. Sounds like a reduced cost too. I hope they follow through on it. Might give us a chance to compete more.

I would like to just see them promote the BY comps more. I don't know how the KCBS fee structure works, but maybe make it free to sanction a BY comp if it's at the same time as a Master's series. The comps I've seen that do that, seem to have better BY turn outs, the Master's series doesn't suffer, the organizer gets more people to their events, and some of those BY guys will do a few and then decide to step up.

Once you get out to a comp a couple times, interact with some of the other cooks, etc, most people realize that what starts out a little intimdiating (big rigs, fancy cookers, etc) really isn't. Then some of those guys will decide to do some Master's Series.

Adding a series just to add a series seems like an unlikely solution to the problem.

This link says i need a member name and password which im assuming id have be a member of KCBS prob = $$$

My bad! I guess I didn't log out before closing the tab, and was still logged in when I opened a new tab and went to the site.

Interesting about the PRO-AM, but isn't it basically describing what Competitor's Series format already is? I personally like Competitor Series and wish there were more available in our area.

Not exactly. The Competitor Series came into being to allow organizers some flexibility. Propane contests, no thermostats, pellets only etc. since the existing rules didn't allow those options just as an example. With the Pro-Am model it's about giving cooks the opportunity to cook, without jeopardizing their eligibility to cook in a different class.

I like the idea of a Pro-Am series. Sounds like a reduced cost too. I hope they follow through on it. Might give us a chance to compete more.

The cost would primarily be up to the organizer. KCBS fees would essentially be the same I believe with all things being equal. The cost levied per team stays the same, but additional Reps are required once you go beyond 50 teams. The larger the contest the lower the spend/team, because the sanctioning fee itself is the same regardless of size, but the savings are negligible.

Correct, but if there is a backyard team out there that is thinking about making the jump to KCBS they cannot read the rules on the website without having a paid membership. IMHO the rules should be made available to everyone whether you have a paid membership or not.

I most heartily disagree, if I could I would require every head cook to be a dues paying member of KCBS.
If this backyard team is too cheap to become a member then maybe they could find a current member and ask to look at their computer.......
Ed

I most heartily disagree, if I could I would require every head cook to be a dues paying member of KCBS.
If this backyard team is too cheap to become a member then maybe they could find a current member and ask to look at their computer.......
Ed

Fair enough. That's the great thing about this world, we are all allowed to have opinions, and I definitely respect yours. I just know when I was thinking about making the jump from Backyard Fair comps to KCBS I found it helpful to have the rules available before I made any decisions so I had a good idea of what I was about to get into.

Something else that came to mind. What ever happened to splitting (and awarding) tiers in ToY? That seems to have just vanished.

Ed
What a great way to kill off new teams coming in or a contest struggling to get to 25 trying to get some locals or a backyard team to jump in.

What a great way to kill off new teams coming in or a contest struggling to get to 25 trying to get some locals or a backyard team to jump in.

$800 to $1000 investment and you get squeamish over a $40 (I think) membership fee so that you can fully understand the rules of a contest you are contemplating entering?
Like I said find a member and suck off his teat...
Ed

$800 to $1000 investment and you get squeamish over a $40 (I think) membership fee so that you can fully understand the rules of a contest you are contemplating entering?
Ed

Its not about the $40. We are currently struggling to get to 25 teams for a contest this week and we are relying heavily on local teams that have never competed or wanted to in the past. This isn't their passion or hobby, but instead they are doing it because they don't want to see a local event go away. Why not make the rules accessible to the general public? If they had access to the rules beforehand, maybe we won't have to worry about them inadvertently having something wrong in the box which leads to a DQ and ultimately costs the GC a shot at the Jack and Royal.

Its not about the $40. We are currently struggling to get to 25 teams for a contest this week and we are relying heavily on local teams that have never competed or wanted to in the past. This isn't their passion or hobby, but instead they are doing it because they don't want to see a local event go away. Why not make the rules accessible to the general public? If they had access to the rules beforehand, maybe we won't have to worry about them inadvertently having something wrong in the box which leads to a DQ and ultimately costs the GC a shot at the Jack and Royal.
I think not having access to the rules is very unlikely to be the problem.
Bigger question is why is the event struggling?

Ed

This makes no sense. A backyard team is not going to spend $800 to compete. Expecting anyone to pay to see the rules is ridiculous.

I might be mistaken but I believe there is a new free tier membership that they added this year for just these kinds of issues. You can do some stuff such as read rules but don’t get all of the benefits.

Back