• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First set of St Louis Ribs

chuMP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Current - Newnan, GA; Hometown - Baton Rouge, LA
See below for my first ever smoke with St Louis Style Ribs. I got full spares, trimmed the flap and tips for grinding for sausage. Memphis Dust rub and a Lexington Mop. 3-2-1 @ 225. These ribs were the best I've ever made. I have officially been converted from baby backs to spare ribs. Thanks to all of you who have posted such great tips for newer smokers! I've been struggling on a gasser, but finally took the plunge and dropped a little coin on a kamado, and the difference is night and day. Also, is it common for people to make their own rubs, or is doing this unusual? It seems so simple, I don't see why you would buy them?

Attachments

• 2014-06-03_13.35.18.jpg
    2014-06-03_13.35.18.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 2014-06-03_13.39.55.jpg
    2014-06-03_13.39.55.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 158
Nice looking ribs! Lots of folks make their own rubs - you should give it a try. There are tons of great commercial rubs out there, as well. Always fun to try out new stuff, mix & match, etc. Sometimes you can get ideas for your own rub by trying the good commercial ones.

Uncle JJ,
I did make my rub. I got the base idea from Meathead's recipe called Memphis Dust on the Amazing Ribs site. I adjusted portions and made a couple of small additions that gives it a slightly different background. My spice cabinet is full of baggies with different concoctions in them.

You made the Memphis Dust. That's a good starting point to start changing it up. Try adding celery seed or salt, or cumin. Replace the paprika with hungarian smoked paprika. The list goes on and on. Get Chris Lilly's book(Big Bob Gibsons BBQ) which has instructions for a base rub and then goes on with ingredients to start changing it up is a good start as well.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bob-Gibsons-BBQ-Book/dp/0307408116"]Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint: Chris Lilly: 9780307408112: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Wqe1szCIL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Wqe1szCIL[/ame]

Nice job, first time? I think you are pulling our leg :eusa_clap

Looking fantastic dude! That is a very nice rack you got there :thumb:

@ Palmtreefrb. Thanks. That is exactly the kinda help I am looking for. Funny you should mention it, but yesterday as I was mixing the rub I thought to myself, "You dumb farker... how could you not have Hungarian or Spanish Paprika on hand!" I saw a comment on the Memphis Dust that mentioned adding celery salt, but figured that I would wait for the next mixing to make that change. I make very small rub batches so I can experiment, and I don't wind up sitting on top a huge mound of terrible rub. That book is already on the way, along with some Hungarian Paprika and some curing salt #1 for some bacon I'm gonna cure and smoke.

And @ marley man, this is the first time with St Louis. I've done plenty of Baby Backs on a gasser, and tried full spare ribs on a gasser, but this is the first time i've ever smoked on a bona fide smoker and the first time i've trimmed the ribs.

Anybody got any Bacon curing/smoking pointers?

Haha...Nice job!! Looks like you got the hang of it and moving over from the gasser to a REAL smoker :thumb:

Back