LSG horizontal offset vs Gator offset questions

Ha! I like it, only time you get to get the wife lubed/oiled up.

Really I'd drive North to Ennis and get a Johnson T Pit . :heh: $1680 ....... a Vertical Horizontal Double Reverse Flow- Oh Ya.!!

Smitty,
Do you have any personal experience with this pit? I've spoken the Chad a couple of times and he's real keen on this design. He claims it's much more efficient than a traditional offset pipe smoker?
My problem is if you purchased it and hated it, you could't resale it because it just ain't pretty.

Smitty,
Do you have any personal experience with this pit? I've spoken the Chad a couple of times and he's real keen on this design. He claims it's much more efficient than a traditional offset pipe smoker?
My problem is if you purchased it and hated it, you could't resale it because it just ain't pretty.

Just Buy It....IF you Don't Like It I'll take it off your hands for 50 Cents on the Dollar...Cash Money.... :heh:

Last edited:
I've Had 2 of of the Poor Boy DIY Models..... I think they are SEXY.......I sold them cuz they ATE Charcoal but were BadAzz as a StickBurner. Cooked Well on Charcoal n Chunks just went thru almost double the charcoal of a regular UDS. Pretty Even temps thru out just judging by cooking 8-10 racks of Ribs a Few Times.

aQ4nzidl.jpg

2INa2lkl.jpg

xCJvrNoh.jpg

yF736Dol.png

Last edited:
Smitty,

Pitts & Spitts has a smoker thats similar design, only you wont have to take it to the scrap metal yard if you dont want it.

Klose has a variant of the T where the firebox is center and offset to rear with cook chamber having a stack on each side. It looks nice and efficient but it's Klose prices :(

Back to OP, if you're curious about alternate Gator designs, they have a Gator version of VO and IVC, but their prices are in the stratosphere, just like Klose. For example, the Gator version of IVC is called Rebel and it rings the register at $5995 !!!

Klose has a variant of the T where the firebox is center and offset to rear with cook chamber having a stack on each side. It looks nice and efficient but it's Klose prices :(

Back to OP, if you're curious about alternate Gator designs, they have a Gator version of VO and IVC, but their prices are in the stratosphere, just like Klose. For example, the Gator version of IVC is called Rebel and it rings the register at $5995 !!!

Speaking of Klose, I talked to them today. 3 weeks to build something Vs 16 weeks at LSG.

Any thoughts on Klose? A Klose would only be $100 more than LSG.

Speaking of Klose, I talked to them today. 3 weeks to build something Vs 16 weeks at LSG.

I think you should get the pit that's right for you and then let the wait be what it is. You will have it for a very long time. The anticipation is half of the fun anyway. Just my .02 from the peanut gallery. :thumb:

Chris never worked at Gator. How that rumor got started, no one knows.

Ritch did have a Chris working for him for a while as his office manager. I guess shortly after he left LSG started up ? With the similarities in the pits at first I guess the rumor took off. I bought it ... up until tonight reading this. :shock:

I did business with Ritch years ago and can say for certain he is a stand up guy. As far as his pricing , if he's getting it more power to him.

Notorious are you planning on selling your Shirley or are you looking at a LSG as a secondary pit?

My Shirley will probably be with me till I'm old and frail and can't lift the door anymore.

I'm going RF horizontal and traditional flow VO as my 1-2 punch cooker combo.

Springram hit the nail on the head: Klose charges for tuning plates and even slide out cooking grates!! Klose is gonna be 500-1000 more for comparable features

I have decided to go with Klose. 2-3 week wait vs 4 months at LSG. At this time I'm not interested in waiting 4 months just to get slide out grates and thats what it came down to. The 20" LSG does not come with tuning plates so no advantage there. I have welders and a plasma cutter so I could make my own anyways.

Only question is to eliminate the firebox grill or no? Seems like I could just grill in the cook chamber if I wanted or use my Kettle. Seems like firebox grill would just be more greasy mess to clean and more maintenance. Anyone with thoughts on a firebox grill? Do you use it? Yeah or nah? Also Klose has the external firebox slide out ash pan so you dont have to open the firebox door to dump ashes. Any thoughts on this? How often do you have to dump ash during a cook?

I have decided to go with Klose. 2-3 week wait vs 4 months at LSG. At this time I'm not interested in waiting 4 months just to get slide out grates and thats what it came down to. The 20" LSG does not come with tuning plates so no advantage there. I have welders and a plasma cutter so I could make my own anyways.

Only question is to eliminate the firebox grill or no? Seems like I could just grill in the cook chamber if I wanted or use my Kettle. Seems like firebox grill would just be more greasy mess to clean and more maintenance. Anyone with thoughts on a firebox grill? Do you use it? Yeah or nah? Also Klose has the external firebox slide out ash pan so you dont have to open the firebox door to dump ashes. Any thoughts on this? How often do you have to dump ash during a cook?

Congrats! Klose is a name of legend and you won't go wrong. I don't have a grill top but I can vouch for using firebox as a hot plate . I just did potatoes in a skillet yesterday that I set on top of the firebox, very useful.

If you wanted your cake to eat too, maybe you could go half inch upgraded with grill top?!?

Back