View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Default Christmas Eve Ribeye Roast Take 2

This is my entry into the “Rib Roasts and / or Holiday Feasts!” Throwdown.

Most of you who’ve been around a few years know this is the time of year that I go Full Griswald so I haven’t got a lot of cooking in recently. Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Turkey, then a nice Honey Baked Ham. Well last year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast and it was a big hit so we did it again this year.

I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Tuesday.

Early Sunday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it. Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)
1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
OO

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

I applied the rub (paste)

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

Around noon I set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it come up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.

While it was cooking we set the table from our guests.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)
Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 1 minute per side.

Here are some pics of me slicing it. (Please use the photo below as my polling picture)

On the table on the Christmas platter.

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “PataskalaRed X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.

Thanks for looking.

The full cook thread can be seen here: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=255387