• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Hey all

This thread is crazy long ..to find my answer. I just bought some expanded metal to extend my Backwoods Party firebox. I just went 4 inches higher then the standard box. I fastened it together with some rods that I had to bend with tools. It's really too thick to work with. So I just put it together enough for a cook to see how it works.

What's everyone using to fasten their expanded metal? Any pics?

Thanks!!

Nuts, bolts, wire, zip ties and welding are the choices of most people here.

I had a ton of bolts let over when I was adding casters. They work great with a washer on each side. That will do it. Thanks guys!

Does anybody know where i can find some instructions to make one of them drum smoker thingys?

All i'm seeing here is 1000 pages of the same questions asked over and over.....:roll:

No Bubba, this is the first I have heard of this UDS thing.:lol: Searching the past threads doesn't seem to be an option for some reason. It is exciting when someone makes the decision to go for it, so I try to help where I can. It really is exciting when someone discovers how easy and fun it is to get real BBQ. I still don't get the 3/2/1 on a UDS at least, unless you like ribs through a straw. Know what you mean bro.

Hey Bubba, how do you compare your 85 gal UDS to the 55 gal? I cannot find one around here but sure looks like it would be pretty cool. Did you build it basically the same?

Hey OB,
Here are some pics of my UDG (ugly drum grill).
I think it would be easy to convert back and forth from grill to smoker, but I liked building these so I have one of each.

The floor is from a donor lid. I did not want to build up a drum full of ash so I used a ashpan from a cheapo kettle clone. The lid is the bottom of a donor drum with the outside of a donor lid welded on, gives me some heighth. You could just move everything down a bit and use a flat lid just as easily.

As for the new drum and it's black paint, on your seasoning burn if you want to repaint just crank it up with the lid off and you will be able to easily sand the original paint off. The original paint will probably hold okay if you smoke only and keep the temp under control, but that won't work if you use it as a grill.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• DSC02564.jpg
    DSC02564.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,187
  • DSC02539.jpg
    DSC02539.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC02692.jpg
    DSC02692.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,181
  • DSC02541.jpg
    DSC02541.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,175
  • DSC02538.jpg
    DSC02538.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • DSC03537.jpg
    DSC03537.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,177
Hey Bubba, how do you compare your 85 gal UDS to the 55 gal? I cannot find one around here but sure looks like it would be pretty cool. Did you build it basically the same?

Same build, 85 runs even smoother than it's little brother. 250 at center grate all day long!
If you can find one, build it! :biggrin:

Thanks Bubba. Really want to find an 85 as I am absolutely sold on the flavor from these bad boys. Reminds me of all the great times growing up on camp fire cooking flavor. Wish me luck bro!

Same build, 85 runs even smoother than it's little brother. 250 at center grate all day long!
If you can find one, build it! :biggrin:

I'll second that!! I love playing around with mine! Only difference between my 85 and 55 gallon drums is I have 4 intake vents.

Hey Meat Burner- the 15 gallon drum is a blast too!
If you have a Weber Smokey Joe you are set!

Thanks Barbarian!

Barbarian,

Thanks for the pics! Yes, thats pretty much what I wanted to do although I was just going to put the coals on one of my normal cooking racks with foil on it or something like that and lower the "grilling" food grate down a bit so that I can use the flat lid.

Obnepec

Ultimate thread! I scored a couple of 55 gallons that contained syrup. This thread got my drum built and it works really well...thanks

OK, I've now read the entire thread and am all set to start my build. My one question that I have that I don't recall being answered is when using the Weber lid, if you have to make the mod with the top 2 inches of the kettle inserted into the top of your drum in order for the lid to fit. How is the insert secured into the drum? I'm doubting it slides in and makes a tight seal does it? Can anyone help here?

HawkeyeQue:

Sometimes you get lucky and the Weber lid fits the lip of the drum perfectly. . Most of the time you have to cut the lip of the drum to fit the Weber lid or cut off 2-inches or so of the Weber kettle base and fix it to the top of the drum.

drums in Georgia??

All,

I live north of Atlanta and the best deal I have found so far is a reconditioned (ie rinsed) food grade barrel for about $25. Does anyone know of a better deal anywhere in the atlanta area? Would be willing to drive for a good deal but with today's gas prices it would have to be looked at.

Thanks for any help!
Obnepec

HawkeyeQue:

Sometimes you get lucky and the Weber lid fits the lip of the drum perfectly. . Most of the time you have to cut the lip of the drum to fit the Weber lid or cut off 2-inches or so of the Weber kettle base and fix it to the top of the drum.

Mark, when you say "fix it to the top of the drum" what do you mean by that? That is the question I have. I understand the why's I just don't get the how right now. I don't think it's ever been discussed in this thread. I'm doing mine with no welds so how would I get that 2 inch ring "fixed" to the top of my drum?

Also, another question that just came up as I went to HD over lunch. Expanded steel is damn expensive. It's $19 for a 24x24 sheet. Is there a better outlet for this than HD? is it easy to cut? will HD cut it for me? Thanks,

OK, I've now read the entire thread and am all set to start my build. My one question that I have that I don't recall being answered is when using the Weber lid, if you have to make the mod with the top 2 inches of the kettle inserted into the top of your drum in order for the lid to fit. How is the insert secured into the drum? I'm doubting it slides in and makes a tight seal does it? Can anyone help here?

Mark, when you say "fix it to the top of the drum" what do you mean by that? That is the question I have. I understand the why's I just don't get the how right now. I don't think it's ever been discussed in this thread. I'm doing mine with no welds so how would I get that 2 inch ring "fixed" to the top of my drum?

Also, another question that just came up as I went to HD over lunch. Expanded steel is damn expensive. It's $19 for a 24x24 sheet. Is there a better outlet for this than HD? is it easy to cut? will HD cut it for me? Thanks,

I'm thinking you read the condensed version. :cool:

It's all in here.

HawkeyeQue:

Perhaps the easiest way of mounting the top 2 inches of a Weber kettle base to the top of a drum is with red silicone.

Personally, this is the last method I would use as it just looks kind of crude to me. Not as bad as hammering out a Weber lid to fit a drum though.

My apologies to those who used either of these methods.

As for expanded steel. previous reports were that ACE hardware had better prices.

Back