• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri Tip Cherry Burst! (pr0n)

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My first, again, humiliating myself in public.
It is a grass fed premium meat, but from a yearling, a very young cow.
It is lean and smaller than you guys would see.

I made up my own rub because I wanted control and to know exactly what I had here.
Paprika, onion, garlic, heavy on the fresh pepper and some sea salt.
Rubbed

Owning a Big Steel Keg, I wanted to target the nicest tri tip pictures I had seen here which meant a gentle medium with lots of lovely soft middle bits.
I asked Landarc because his pics were making me salivate, and I decided to start on a low heat of 150 over mesquite smoke

I slowly opened her up and gently raised the temp of the BSK

When I reached 50C I opened all the way and sent the BSK to 450f, this got me a little colour and I closed down and took the Tri Tip inside under a foil tent to rest.

It reached a nice medium and I was pretty happy

It was beefy like our Aussie cut of 'Rump" in flavour, but I learned a few things.

Next time I will trim the outer aggresively as there was some grissle, and I will look forward to the next tri tip to compare.
This one was tougher than I would like.
I may have to purchase more mature tri tips or maybe grain finished, but I will reserve judgement till I have tried the other few I have left.
I was happy with the cook and result, just unhappy with this particular piece of meat.

Some open sangers, wholemeal and some pickled onions and pickles.Horseradish was so good.
What do you think, brothers, any suggestions or opinions?

Last edited:
Looks great. you did a really nice job on such a lean piece of meat. personally, I don't like the grass fed as I prefer a more marbled tri-tip. They are so juicy, tasty and bad for me... :)

Looks great Bucc. Like the pickled onion too! If you can get your hands on one next time, see if you can find one whole and untrimmed. Season it up real good and trim the fat after the cook. Lots of people like it trimmed and a lot like it untrimmed. Just another way of doing it.

Attachments

• 20130629_234951.jpg
    20130629_234951.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 385
  • 20130630_001058.jpg
    20130630_001058.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 384
Nice looking cook and meal there Buccs, I like the grass fed, grain finished variety, but for a yearling that would not work too well. IMHO.
"Keep those cards and letters coming!"

Liking the advice, thanks boys!
The only other choice that I may have is to buy a mature ox Tri tip from the same company.
The cut just isn't done here.
BTW where the Tri tip point ends is where we Aussies have a cut called "rump"' including the picanha.
Most underrated cut here, bloody lovely steak and roasts.

Good work Buccs. I think you did OK. Certainly you would have had a better result with grain fed.

Titch, Grain Fed Tri-Tip is back in stock at Costco. They are a lot pricier than they used to be. I think the word is now out somehow that this is a great cut of meat. I used to be able to buy a 2 pack for $14.00. Now they are $20.

Still, well worth it.

Bill

I have my second attempt of a tri tip on the smoker as we speak. First one was decent. Not sure about the quality of the cut. This one is Angus and has much better marbling. First go around I was a little too aggressive with the smoke too. Changed my flavor profile and decreased my amount of wood chunks so we are about an hour away in seeing if I did any better.

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting Buccs but obviously can't speak to the actual flavor or texture. I've only had grass fed beef a couple times and given the choice I'd always opt for grain fed. Probably just haven't had good grass fed beef... :tsk: As far as the texture, I can't quite tell if you sliced it with or against the grain. Being the master chef you are though, I'm sure you would have sliced it against the grain. :thumb:

Hi Bucco.

Was that the grassfed beef from Farmer Jacks. I got it B4 did it on the gasserand it was tough as... musta been run right across the Nullabor B4 it was killed here. But with the proper treatment and possibly some aging to help loosen the fibers it will be OK.

Farmer Jacks also has grass fed rib eye on special at the moment ... real ridiculously low price, below $10/kg.

Got to find work again first then will be ringing and coming over annoying you for some lessons and decent cookups.

Muzza in Perth 4 a while.

Buccs, that sure looks like you did well with it. That was a very young steer, and I suspect you would have had better success with a slightly older animal. I often end up doing grass-finished tri-tips when I am in Humboldt, and because they have sweet grass and good forage, the tri-tips end up being quite good. I think get a more full tri-tip and you will be good.

Buccs, that sure looks like you did well with it. That was a very young steer, and I suspect you would have had better success with a slightly older animal. I often end up doing grass-finished tri-tips when I am in Humboldt, and because they have sweet grass and good forage, the tri-tips end up being quite good. I think get a more full tri-tip and you will be good.

Thanks Bob, I'll take some of these if they offer Ox tri tips then.
You can't get better feed that the grass these guys eat down here, well maybe Robbins Island is better but this is premium cream.

Update: The tri tip cold is far more delicious than it was yesterday, hot!!
:faint:
I rested it for 30 minutes, maybe rest longer next time??

Hi Bucco.

Was that the grassfed beef from Farmer Jacks. I got it B4 did it on the gasserand it was tough as... musta been run right across the Nullabor B4 it was killed here. But with the proper treatment and possibly some aging to help loosen the fibers it will be OK.

Farmer Jacks also has grass fed rib eye on special at the moment ... real ridiculously low price, below $10/kg.

Got to find work again first then will be ringing and coming over annoying you for some lessons and decent cookups.

Muzza in Perth 4 a while.

No Muzza, this was Cape Grimm, one of our top 5 in the country.
Farmer Jacks, they sell economy grade and I haven't seen any that tempted me yet.
Some economy grade is good, but you have to spot the gems among the crud.
They don't sell tri tip tho, ever.

Come over.
It's the "Highland Park" rule around here:biggrin1:

Back