UDS clean up

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone else us a Shop Vac to clean out the ash in the bottom of their UDS? I don't have a catch pan. My basket just sits on the bottom of the drum. Anywho...What is your method?

I bought a 19" anodized aluminum pizza pan off eBay and use it as an ash pan. But, I do use my shop vac to clean up the residue.

A cheap pooper scooper from Petco works really well. It's basically a small dust pan mounted at 90 degrees to the handle and it comes with a little brush. (And no, it's not the same one used to pick up the dog bombs from the yard.)

Ya that should work, do your shop vac it every time?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I have only used mine about 6 times, but I have used a Hoe. I just scoop out the ash and dump it in a bucket. The hoe works great to get right up around the edges...

Looking forward to seeing what others use...

i set mine on its side and take a hose to it.. the wife doesn't like the mess in the yard.. but who cares (she is asleep isn't she???).. ha

i set mine on its side and take a hose to it.. the wife doesn't like the mess in the yard.. but who cares (she is asleep isn't she???).. ha
You wash it out after every cook? I've never washed mine. I guess I thought once it is seasoned, it would be better to never wash it.

I turn mine over and bang on the bottom.. then hose it out, heat it up and cook!

I found a set of of fireplace tools at a garage sale. Bent the blade on the shovel and made my own pooper scooper set for the drum. Plus, I gained the poker and log tongs for use in the firepit outside.

Go to Walmart and grab their disposable grill. I attached that to the bottom of my charcoal basket. I just dump the ash into a bucket. Makes for a very easy cleanup. I dont wash mine but maybe once a year. I take it to the car wash and then re lube it with crisco and fire it up for a little bit to reseason it.

I have a pizza pan in mine so there's no ash, but there's still liquid on the drum bottom after a cook, so I just toss a bunch of paper towels in there and use a stick to push them around till it's all mopped up and throw the towels away.

I just use a new garbage cab cover inverted (handle on the underside, not the topside) with a couple of legs made from bolts. I just lift it out whenever it gets full.
No problems with food cooking or circulation either.

I just turn mine over and dump it. The walls will get some ash on them but it doesn't hurt anything. The ash soaks into the grease next time I use it.

I use a small broom/90 degree with handle pan set I got from walmart, works perfect. I have learned that the expensive shop vac will die very soon if using it for ash collection. But,,,, saying that I do buy the cheap($20) small shopvac from walmart to clean out my FEC, between cooks, after a comp ect, they last about 1/2 a competition season,,,

Or get a drum with removable lid...turn it over and cut the bottom off...this is now your top and you have a removable bottom. Loosen it up and life the drum straight off.

You can always just turn it on it's side and dump or sweep the ashes out. A little water isn't going to hurt anything...don't get too uptight about losing "seasoning". (You're not going to hurt it)

I bought a plastic dustpan, and cut it to the radius of the drum. I put a broom handle on a squeegee and cut it down to about 2 feet.

I just scrape the ash to one side of the drum with the squeegee, and bend over the side and scoop out the ash with the dustpan before every cook, then snap the dustpan onto the squeegee handle. Helps being 6' 3" to be able to reach the bottom of the drum.

BTW, never had any water or moisture in the bottom of my drum that others talk about.

Going on two years and it's never been washed out. I think of it like a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Scraping and scrubbing on it would only remove the seasoning.

photozth.jpg

Back